Thursday, 2 July 2015

MWYA Random Ramblings ~ Job Scams



Hello beautiful people!

So I wanted to share a story about something that happened to me last month. This came as a huge surprise and once again I am so thankful that I ask so many questions and am naturally a thorough person. 

In my mission to try and find a way to the UK I started applying for positions through job portals such as Careers24 and Careerjunction. I have heard so many good stories about these sights so I decided to give it a shot. 

I found two companies that were looking for international recruits and applied for both. I checked out there websites and they were real companies. A day later I received an email from the first 'Said' company requesting more information and an interview form with quite intense questions. They explained everything beautifully! From how they support international sponsorship and support you every step of the way. I took my time and completed it like a pro. I was ecstatic! I sent off the forms and waited in anticipation. I researched the company thoroughly and everything was legit. 

Three weeks passed but I was patient. Eventually an email arrived with more information than I had patience to read in my excitement with an offer of employment, my day was made!!! Yet, s
omething was itching at me which I couldn't quite put my finger on. 

I noticed the two emails were from difference HR managers... Why were there two Human Resource managers? Was the company that huge that they needed two? 

So I did some investigating. I couldn't find these people on LinkedIn (it seems to be a huge thing overseas). Plus the telephone numbers on the emails were not the same as on the website... Plus I was a bit confused why the visa process wasn't going through the UK embassy like all other visas? 

Things were just not making sense. I decided to ask my Cousin to call the Company over there and ask if they were both HR managers. She got back to me saying that the company had never even heard of these people!!! Yikes!!!

My heart literally dropped to my stomach. A legit company would not mind me verifying them and the offer as well. The contract really did cover all grounds... since I worked in the Payroll department for 5 years and saw quite a few contracts it seemed like a normal contract. The  perks were amazing! 

So where do you think the money part came in, if everything was paid for by them (other than the possibility of being sold on some form of black trade market). Personally the only conclusion I could come to was through the visa process as that was the one thing I would have had to pay and they would 'reimburse' me upon arrival. Since visas can cost up to R6000... yeah I thought so too...

Instead of sitting there feeling sorry for myself for even a moment... I looked up a few International recruitment agencies and applied for as many jobs that could suit me as possible. 

My University applications are still the process, so I haven't lost out there either :) It is good I caught this early.. I will be calling every company that sends me an offer directly to verify everything... like I said, if it is legit, they shouldn't mind. 

So I live and learn!

Scary but glad I followed my instincts... 

Peace out
xxx



2 comments:

  1. Jeez that's really scary! It's a good thing that you caught it in time! I've heard of this happening before but I've never heard actual stories of it. I hope you find a good job (and not one that's a scam!)!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura :) It did freak me out quite a bit, I am lucky! Since then I accepted a job as a teacher in Thailand, it is quite an adventure :) Thank you for the visit x

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.