Friday, 19 December 2014

Book Review: Rift (Nightshade Prequel #1) by Andrea Cremer

Series: Nightshade Prequel #1
Publisher: Philomel
Publication Date: 07 August 2012
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Length: 430 pages



Overview:

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.


With action, adventure, magic, and tantalizing sensuality, this book is as fast-paced and breathtaking as the Nightshade novels.


~ Official Book trailer ~






Previous reviews:
Nightshade (Nightshade #1)
Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)
Bloodrose (Nightshade #3)

My Review:

I decided to continue the Nightshade world reading binge! It's easier to stay connected with the characters while you are still in the series world. 


Rift is quite different to the Nightshade series. It is more of a historical fiction type setting but is still quite the adventure. Initially I wasn't too interested in Rift when I read the sneak peak chapter at the end of Bloodrose, but then I read Aftermath and the link there between the characters and the stories peaked my interest. So I gave it a shot. 


Characters & Story line: 5/5


The characters Andrea creates in Rift are so different yet so amazing. There is a bit of a triangle in the story but it keeps it interesting. 



Ember is brave, strong and independent. I enjoyed how she handled any obstacle thrown her way. I feel a bit sorry for Alistair. I do think his love for Ember is a bit selfish but his heart is in the right place. Barrow is a strong warrior, Ember's mentor and probably one of my favourite characters. 



Eira & Cian - The weird sisters. The main female warriors of the Guard. I enjoyed how even the noblest of intentions can lead one astray. I found it fascinating the watch how Bosque Mar managed to reel Eira in. 


Plot, Pace, Writing style: 5/5  
Andrea's writing style and ability to weave amazing story, taking you a thrilling adventure and leaves you breathless. You are kept at the edge of your seat as everything unfolds and you see how everything began before the Keepers & Searchers. 

Cover talk: 4/5 The Cover is gorgeous and paints the perfect picture of Ember. 

Final Thoughts: Rift ends on quite a cliffhanger and exactly halfway through this story of how everything began. I cannot wait to see everything come together in Rise. 

My Rating:

Books in the series / Other books by this Author:








Author Bio:
Andrea Cremer is the author of the internationally bestselling Nightshade series. She spent her childhood daydreaming and roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin. 


Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. Before she wrote her first novel, Andrea was a history professor at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. In her books, she strives to bring together her two passions: history and fantasy. Andrea now lives in New York and writes full time.


Author Links: Goodreads l website l twitter





Love

Chanzie



4 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this book for so long but I can't seem to get to it. So many books so little time! But I'm glad you enjoyed it and great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I liked her other series and I really need to try this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get the books :( I think I would enjoy them a lot based on what you say in your awesome reviews. I do find it hard to get into prequel novellas and I agree with you that it's better to read them while you're currently deep into the world than after being away from it for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything in your review makes me want to drop everything and pick this series back up! And you're right – I'd better do it before I forget too much about the world again. I'm not sure how I feel about the historical fiction aspect, but I'm definitely up for an edge-of-your-seat read! I guess I'd better hurry up and finish the 1st trilogy, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.