Friday, 10 October 2014

Movie Review: Vampire Academy



~ Movie Review ~


 Vampire Academy


Based on the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead;
Directed by Mark Waters;
Screenplay by Daniel Waters;

Starring: 
Zoey Deutch (Rose Hathaway) 
Lucy Fry (Vasilisa Dragomir)
Danila Kozlovsky (Dimitri Belikov)
Dominic Sherwood (Christian Ozera)
Sarah Hyland (Natalie Dashkov)

US Box Office: $7.8 million
Runtime: 1 h 45 mins

Links: movie website | the book






~ The Official Movie Trailer ~ 







MOVIE SYNOPSIS: 


Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human/vampire, guardians of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discretely within our world. Her legacy is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi. This is her story.

The Cast:







Wow I don't even know where to start. I was so excited to watch this movie. Even though I had read bad review after bad review. I still had some hope. I hoped it would be likeable and saveable. Sadly this is not the case for me. I was initially so upset that I missed the movie on the big screen which wasn't even aired for 2 weeks - now I am sort of relieved I watched it at home. 



Lets start with what I did like: 

I think Zoey did a pretty good job of playing Rose - most of the time. 
I liked Lucy Fry who played Lissa also did a good job. 
They do a really good job when they introduce you to the Vampire Academy concepts of the different vampires and how the bond between Rose & Lissa pretty well. 

Th Vampire Academy set was amazingly done! 

What I didn't like:

When it came to Zoey acting out the bond with Lissa - it was overacted and kind of cheesy. 
Dimitri is not what I imagined. He played the part well but he was not as 'hot' as I think he could have been. 
The fight scenes were okay, nothing kick ass or fatnastic. 
The humor that was attempted to be portrayed was a hit and miss for me. 
The romance between Rose & Dimitri was nothing more than a simmer for me. It lacked intensity. 



Final thoughts: 

I bought the DVD and now I am going to sell the DVD. I won't be watching this again... ever. I'll be sticking to the books for sure. I'll probably watch the  follow up if there is one just because I loved the books but my expectations have dropped. 


My Rating:





7 comments:

  1. For me, this movie was a 3.5 but because I didn't have any expectations of it other than the knoweledge that Vampire Academy has a huge fanbase. I didn't know the characters that well or the storyline, so it was good for someone who didn't know about it. My friends actually loved the movie, so yeah, this movie was fitted more for the public in general. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find that if I have not read the books first I have enjoyed the movie way more! Glad you enjoyed it though :)

      Delete
  2. Dimitri was awful. I remember watching it in the movie theater and laughing out loud with him. Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree... Ian Somerhalder would have been a much better choice *swoon*

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I can't believe the movie sucked... I really have high hopes for it... now I am scared to watch it.

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.