Friday, 9 May 2014

Mini Book Review: Once upon an Island by DM Potter

Publisher: Fairytale Factory NZ Ltd
Publication Date: 20 December 2012
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Amazon Freebie (Promo)
Audio or Book: eBook

Goodreads Synopsis:
Few people have ever been to Arapawa Island in New Zealand. Be warned - it won't be a safe journey. Kidnappers, giant squid and time travel lie down the different paths you can take. Which way will you go?

If you'd like a few pictures to go with your reading experience you can find some that inspired the story here:http://pinterest.com/debzeb/once-upon...

This is an interactive book suitable for readers aged nine and above.




My Review:


This was such a fun read. It is perfect for a younger generation. It doesn't have a straight story line - you are the main character. At the end of the chapter you get to make a choice as to how the story progresses by making a choice about what you should do. There are easily 10 - 15 different stories between these covers. You can go back and make a different decision and the story takes a completely different route. The different routes do not overlap at all. 

The way this book is set up is brilliant. There is no seriousness with this book - just pure fun. The writing is very well done. 

Final Thoughts:  I am so happy I picked up this freebie while it was on promotion. It is a great fantasy adventure for a much younger generation, and I could appreciate it for what it was. 



My Rating:




14 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I love this type of books! I have one just like this, I can't remember the exact name right now but it's something along the lines of The Mystery of Loch Ness. It's pretty cool. The deal was to find a way out of a castle and escape from the mystery surrounding it. I usually failed to do so and would end up in a horrible death. Hmm.. now I'm wondering how it turned out to be a kids book, lol. Anyway, this book sounds great! Definitely something I would love to give a try. Thanks for sharing about it Chanzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha haha wow not sure how that was a kids book either. This is definitely the type of book I would have enjoyed when I was much younger. I ended up with it because it was a freebie and I didn't have a book with me at the time. So I scrolled through my amazon app on my phone and just randomly picked one!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an interesting concept. You have me intrigued now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I think it might be too juicy and light for you but I think the layout and writing for the type of genre it is is fantastic. The amount of planning that must go into it must be hectic!

      Delete
  3. I don"t read a lot of books for younger but it sounds like a nice one. And the cover is really beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yip this isn't for everyone but if you had kids that read, this would be perfect for them! I agree, the cover is awesome :)

      Delete
  4. Probably not a book I would have picked, but I have to admit that you got me intrigued, Chanzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.. It was a random pick and not something I would pick now and read, but definitely something for younger readers who love adventures!

      Delete
  5. Choose Your Own Adventure books were among my favorites when I was growing up, so this sounds fantastic. Great review, Chanzie! Thanks for bringing this to my attention ;)

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too <3 Funny I never really considered myself a big reader growing up.. but the truth is I actually was! And these type of books were awesome. It's nice to just read something random sometime :)

      Delete
  6. oh so it's like a pick your own adventure type? that's awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep exactly!! You get to make decisions throughout the book. If you go back and change a decision it takes a completely different route... It is pretty awesome and well written!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! That sounds like a fun read, choosing different endings! Fab review Chanzie!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun read :) Thanks Naomi!!

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.