Monday, 5 May 2014

May MWYA Monthly Buzz

Hello everyone!! 

Welcome back to Mean Who You Are's monthly catch-up! I have finally caught up with all the reviews that have been commitments and can now choose to read whatever I want!! It seems silly but I am sure any blogger who has been click happy and got overwhelmed with tours will know exactly what I mean. I think my first series I want to tackle is The Mortal Instruments, i have had them on my bookshelf since December.. waiting to be read!!! 

Plus I took a week off work (with all those public holidays it just made sense *tee hee*) and let myself be commitment free for an entire week. It was wonderful and I know I am behind on catching up on comments and blog visits but you know what... Thats OK!!!! I still love you guys, I just needed some me time.

Winner of BOTM read: Grave Mercy - I am quite excited to read this one! It was a birthday gift a year or two ago and has been sitting on my bookshelf for way to long!

Don't forget to go and vote now for my book to read for June.. Please :) 

I must say I have been so lucky with winning competitions on Lynda's blog... so go one visit Lynda @ Books Direct Online - so many competitions all the time. It has now become one of my daily visits. 

Last month

New on my bookshelf

ARC paperback
The Army of the Lost by Lily Herne
(this book gets it's own special mention because... it was the first ARC I received from a publisher!!)



Bought
Amazon: (Gift Card purchase / Promo $0.99)


Chasing the Green Fairy by Melanie Karsak;
 Rook & Ronin Omnibus Edition (Tragic~Manic~Panic) by JA Huss; 
Immortal Heart (Few Are Angels Prequel) by Inger Iversen; 
The Casquette Girls by Alys Arden & Marissa van Uden

Book exchange:


Bitten by Kelley Armstrong; Envy by JR Ward; The Vampire Voss by Colleen Gleason
Home Improvement: Undead edition by Charlaine Harris & Toni LP Kelner
The ultimate book of Vampire romance; The ultimate book of Paranormal romance
Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris


Competition wins - 10 wins!



$15 gift card from Keisha @ The Simple Things in life (Coyer Challenge)
Goodreads First reads: Joey no toes by John MIlner
Deluge by Daniel Diehl from Lynda @ Books Direct Online
Waiting for Prince Harry by Aven Ellis from 
Captivate Me by SJ PIerce from Naomi @ Nomi's Paranormal Palace
Kiss the enemy by Dianna Love from Lynda @ Books Direct Online
Stolen Songbird by DL Jensen from Michelle @ The Escapist
The Power & The Fury by James Erith from Lynda @ Books Direct Online
The Unknown Sun by Cheryl Mackey
Portals by Maer Wilson from The Masquerade Crew March Scavenger Hunt

This Month
upcoming reviews 



Anticipated releases


Avoiding Alpha (Alpha Girl #2) by Eileen Erin; Scala (Angelbound #2) by Christina Bauer
City of Heavenly Fire (TMI #6) by Cassandra Clare; The Immortal Crown (Age of X #2) by Richelle Mead

~ Giveaways still running ~



~ Blogoverse: Blog of the Month ~

The Blogoverse Buzz will have a quick feature of a blog that stood out to me and made a difference in my blogoverse.. in other words they have a really amazing blog!

This month we have the super awesome Niki Hawkes from The Obsessive Bookseller!!

I discovered Niki's blog through the Top Ten Tuesday meme and have been visiting there ever since because we have such similar tastes in books...
and did I mention she is awesome and fun!!
<3 Pop over to her blog and say Hello <3




Hello there!!

Thank you so much for being my Blog of the Month :) I just love your blog and especially when it comes to the TTT meme's because we have such similar taste's in books! 

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself: 

My name is Niki Hawkes and I am a 28 year-old book lover from Southwest USA. I have loved books since I was a kid, and made an 11 year career out of it with Barnes and Noble Booksellers. I left my job last month to work on a project with my husband (we're starting a magazine) and to pursue a career in writing (I know, lucky, right?). I've been married for three years to my best friend, and our family grew last october when we brought home a new puppy, Rory! 


  


















When and why did you start blogging?

I am an aspiring author, and one of the things they teach you is that you need to have a platform to help promote your works. When I learned this, I created nikihawkes.com with the intention of doing a book blog, but it wasn't until several months later when I read an amazing book that I just HAD to share it with everyone that I began taking it seriously. The future platform is a great benefit, but I'm so passionate about my book blog, I probably be doing it anyway… To be honest it takes a lot of time away from writing but I can't bring myself to care.

Best thing for you about blogging and the not so great thing?

My favorite thing about blogging is the personalization (well, as much as you can have using a free WordPress site). I finally have all the content presented in a way that I love, and an tickled that my passion for books can be shared with other people. Then not so great thing about blogging at the moment is probably the intimidation factor of going to a self hosted site which I know I'm going to have to eventually if I my audience keeps growing.

What are your top 3 books / series?

This is such an evil question… Although I am grateful you gave me three instead of just one. My favorite author is Richelle Mead, and my favorite series are her Succubus (Georgina Kincaid) novels (although VA and Bloodlines are way up there as well). I've been claiming for a few years now that Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles is my favorite fantasy, but as of late, Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings has given it a run for its money… It will all depend on how the third book in each series goes before I make a final decision. Finally, I think The Partials sequence by Dan Wells is my favorite YA series.

Favorite TV Series or Movie that was based on a book?

I'm going to pick one for both, lol. Even though I've been told the books aren't all that great, I have been known to fangirl over the TV series, Vampire Diaries (team Damon, baby!). My favorite movies are the Lord of the rings, hands down. I could watch the extended editions forever. 

3 fun facts about you?

1. I love bright colors – the upstairs of my house looks like a rainbow exploded. I'm particularly partial to a certain dark shade of pink, and I will buy almost anything if it's that color. My husband is totally thrilled about this, by the way, especially since  has very monochromatic tastes and would love everything in our household to be either black or white.

2. I am (sort of) dedicated cross stitcher (obviously preferring patterns that are bright and colorful) and my most favorite project I've ever completed (and only, haha) is a crescent moon dragon currently hanging in my library. I'm currently working on a rainbow frog piece.





3. Oooh! And my library! My favorite past time is to go through and reorganize my books. At one point, I had over 4000 titles in my house. Doing the math, I figured out it would take me 35+ years to read them all, not taking into consideration how many new books I'd want to read. I have since downsized, lol.




Whats your guilty pleasure?

Competition shows on TV… Anything from The Bachelor to Top Chef. I just love watching to see who wins, ha ha.

What is the best thing that has happened to you since you started blogging:

Author interactions! There's nothing more flattering and exciting than when one of your favorite authors reads your rave review and becomes aware that you exist. Richelle Mead tweeted my review of Game Boards of the Gods last year, and I'm still geeking out about it. Dan Wells, the Partials author, recently did a Q&A to promote his newest book ruins on my page, and that was pretty freaking sweet too.

Outside of the blog, the best thing has been bringing home my puppy. She made look at things with a lot more patience and appreciation, and I am a more rounded person because of it. Because of her I go outside more, I spend more time with my family, and I don't let the little things bother me as much. Animals are amazing. :-)

Best piece of advice you received about blogging?

It's not the number of posts, but the quality and consistency of the content that matters most. Although, picking something I'm passionate to blog about was good advice too, but I figured that was a given. Also, there's no point if it's not fun.

If you could have lunch 3 Characters, who would they be?

The Fool from the works of Robin Hobb -  one of the best most intriguing characters in fantasy... there are so many things I would ask.

Kahlen Anmell from Goodkind's Sword of Truth series – hands-down my favorite female character of all time! I'm probably going to name the child after her, lol.

Minerva Mcgonagall– Arguably my favorite character from Harry Potter – you would think I'd pick someone closer to my age group but, what can I say? I love this woman and her scenes are among my favorites. I would love to find out more about her.

If you got stranded on an island what:
- 3 books would you want with you

I'm going to change this to series :)
Redwall – because they are magical and imaginative and represent everything I love about fantasy.
Harry Potter – Because no matter how many times I read them, they're still wildly entertaining.
Stormlight Archives by Sanderson – because once you finish the book, a half a year has passed (they are huge).

- 3 items you cannot live without
My nook, My phone, My laptop,… I've just realized how dependent I am on technology. This is a sad wake-up call. The island has plug-in outlets in the trees right?

Quick quiz round:
Fav tv show: So You Think You Can Dance!
Fav movie: Lord of the Rings
Coffee or tea or Hot Chocolate: hot chocolate – caffeine makes me shaky (so does sugar, so I'm not safe is whatever I do) :-)
Dream Vacation place: New Zealand!
Vanilla or chocolate: Chocolate 100%

~~~
Well thats a wrap peeps!! Now that we have caught up on what's been going on and meeting one of my favourite bloggers... guess I better get reading :) 

PS did you see how amazing Niki's bookshelves are!!!!! Wow!!


Love

Chanzie

12 comments:

  1. wow many things here! You had a lot of books and I'm really curious to read your reviews! Thanks also for introducing me to the blog! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *tee hee* I know.. the books just flow into my life!!! I am quite excited for my book haul this month :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, Chanzie! And Bitten and Dead Until Dark are the first books in TWO of my favorite UF series!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of them (even if it takes you awhile to fit them in, LOL).

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I cannot wait to read those two books.. I do get a little overwhelmed when I need to pick a book to read off my bookshelf as I just have too many that still need to be read! *eek* That's why I started my Book of the month poll... to help me choose what to read for that month!! Thanks for the visit Jessica :)

      Delete
  3. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but where do I go to vote for your BOTM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in the sidebar, third from the top (picture, competition, poll)! I'll put Bitten on the poll next month :)

      Delete
  4. I need to read the Mortal Instruments as well, I have them all and I haven't read any of them lol. You rocked the winning this month congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha I have them all too.. except the last one which is getting released this month!! *fist pump* Yeah for winning!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow... You are going to be busy this month! I plan on finishing hte Infernal Devices! I was a little excited with the last book! Have a great week!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I am so happy to hear you enjoyed Clockwork Prince... Clockwork Princess is really the best!!! I hope to get some fantastic reading done :) Thanks for the visit Naomi :)

      Delete
  6. oh I love the cover for Fire Storm :) you have some very interesting upcoming reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire Storm does have such an awesome cover!! I am so excited to read it.. it is coming up next on my to-read list :) Thanks for the visit Lily!

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.