Wednesday, 7 May 2014

IWSG #2 - May 2014



Alex J Cavanaugh created this awesome group to share and encourage each other as writers. 
To Sign up click here

The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. 
The first Wednesday of every month you can share your worries without judgement and/or your triumphs with complimentary confetti!  
Join us - it's fun, a great way to connect with fellow writers, and we all can support one another!

Hello everyone and welcome back to my second post in this awesome writer's support group. 

I have not got a lot of news. My first piece of news is that I have been editing my first draft of my topic of light book. I am about halfway through the first set of edits. I am quite happy that I am getting back into it, even if it is slow progress. I do worry about who would want to read my thoughts, but I hope there are some people out there that would appreciate my work. I relate this feeling to when I first started my blog.. Initially I wondered who would visit my blog and read my reviews - yet I have made quite a few friends around the world! 

My second piece of news is about my fictional book. Although I really do wish I was editing a draft of my novel, I chose to finish the project that was closest to the finish line. I do think about my story and characters quite a bit and make notes about it when I get the chance. I do wish I had more time to work on both but I do the best I can. 

I have a quick question for you:

Has it happened to anybody else.. 

I chose my character names in December for my story and I do love them... since then I have come across them in so many books! Before I chose them I had maybe seen them once or twice in all the books I read.

Thank you for visiting and taking some time to see how my writing progress is going. 

How is your writing coming along? I'd love to hear from you. 





14 comments:

  1. Wow, you are busy. I am in the final edits of the a book I co-wrote. It is taking forever.

    I totally had to change names in my stories because I just saw them everywhere. I have to be unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jennifer. Fancy seeing you here. :-)

      Delete
    2. Ha ha not really! I have slowed down quite a bit especially with the reviews. Congrats on doing the final edits of your book. was it difficult to co-write??


      I don;t think I will change my names I love them too much it's just weird that they weren't so popular and now all of a sudden I have seen them in 4 books.

      All the best Jennifer!!

      Delete
  2. Character names come to me the same a character does and I could no sooner change their name than I could change their personality. Not the leads anyway.

    Editing *groan. Unlike some, I loath this stage. It's all that horrid hard work. :P

    Have fun, be productive.

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Shah!! The leads are set for me, especially since I already wrote a few short stories with my characters for a writing competition in December.

      Editing is ok for now. not as fun as writing but at this point I am still enjoying putting the pieces together and shifting it around. I do think this might be different with a fiction novel though...

      Thanks for the visit and encouraging words!

      Delete
  3. When it comes to names, I'll change them if I see the same names over and over again. It goes in waves, doesn't it? I try not to use the most popular ones, but I do choose from my list of favorites. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, it does go through waves. The names I chose aren't the really big ones in the best sellers so that is ok for me. Thanks for your feedback and the visit :)

      Delete
  4. Way to go on working on your writing – people don't realize how much effort it takes!

    I had the exact same thing happened to me – I picked names and then started noticing them everywhere! The thing is, whether or not a name is unique or not is totally subjective, and I think it depends on what books the person has read, what movies they've seen etc. So unless there is a really prominent series in the genre you're writing for with the same name, I think you're okay leaving it the way it is. Unless, of course, you find something you like better. :-) Really, the only one you have to be super careful not to copy is the main protagonist. Keep up the good work, though, and I hope to one day be reading your stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I realised how much effort goes into writing when I started!!! Thank you for your encouraging words and support Niki <3 I hope my book will be out there one day and that people will enjoy the ramblings I need to write about :)

      Delete
  5. I am flat out writing reviews and you are editing your book! Well done girl! And I'm sure someone will read your thoughts!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he well I should be writing more reviews I seem to be in slo-mo mode at the moment. But hey.. that's ok too!!! I wish I had more time to read and write :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Chene....well you know where I am on this...and actually, here's the thing...I believe ALL writers are insecure....but we press on anyway. Why? Because if we worry, or over think our stories....they will stay at the bottom of the pile...you know the one I mean....where all the wannabe writers are. You are much higher now....you're doing your book....it's getting done, and you will finish it. As for names...if you are totally sold on one, keep it. It's okay to be an insecure writer so long as you are an active one. And your blog helps you with your writing and editing...it's all good. Keep believing in yourself because you know the world needs your book xD....really proud of you and keep on going! #teamchenexD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great words! Thank you John :) Your encouragement and support means a lot! *I have a team* he he

      Delete
  7. That you have a first draft you're editing is so AWESOME! I always enjoy your topic of light posts, so I know I'd definitely read your book. You're positive and uplifting, and I need that in my life. A lot of people do because life is so hard; we forget there's good in the world, too.

    I think if you love your characters' names and would still like to keep them the same, go for it! Names popping up happens when naming children, too, I swear, lol! When we named our son Jack, which is a really common name, even more people and characters named Jack started popping up everywhere! I take him to the library for story time, and there was a boy a year or so younger than him also named Jack. Like I said, it is a common name, but I think I started paying more attention to the name since I have a personal connection with it now.

    You go girl! :) *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.