Friday, 2 May 2014

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Series: Shatter Me #1
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: 15 November 2011
Genre: Paranormal Romance, YA
MWYA Book of the Month Read


Overview:



Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.


The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.




Official Book trailer





I have been quite excited to read this book with all the reviews going around with the final book in this series being released lately. So when it won Book of the month for April I was so excited to squeeze this book in some where and trust me I almost didn't with life getting a bit crazy and I have been in a slow reading phase.


Shatter me feels a bit like a book I read a while ago - Branded. The whole captive/soldier romance feel. Fair enough Shatter me was released before then but I read Branded first so the first book gets the love right?


So the story starts out when you meet the main characters that are locked up in a mental asylum. This book was not quite what I expected initially. You only get introduced to the characters names a few chapters in and it took me a while to get into the writing style of the character's POV.

One thing that annoyed me a little bit is she uses the word shatter too many times. 

Characters & Storyline: 3/5

The characters are likable and it is very easy to take sides. 


Juliette - Ok first of all I love that name for the Main character!!! She has such a unique POV and it took me a while to slip into the writing style that Mafi takes. I liked Juliette instantly and she is very different. I think Juliette is the master if avoiding answering questions and she has strangest descriptions. Her thoughts are a it staccato and she does come across a little bit crazy - even though you realise she is just very damaged and I think I would be too if I went through what she went through!

Adam - Such a simple name but I enjoyed the introduction even if he did come across as a bit of a jerk in the beginning. I grew to love him more and more as the adventure continued. At this point I think he makes the story for me more than Juliette. 

Warner - what an evil twists man - he is one of those bad guys you just love. Although I initially didn't like Warner - eventually I warmed up to him being that evil guy you just don't why you like. 

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 3/5  

The plot and pace were good and the writing style was very different. I was so happy the ending wasn't a cliffhanger but there is so much Tahereh can work with in the rest of the series.

Cover talk: 5/5 


I loved this cover! It is initially what drew me to the book and what made me want to read it without even reading the blurb. 

Final Thoughts:


I think I went in expecting too much from this book. Although I enjoyed it and will continue with the series, it was not as wow to me as I hoped it would be. It definitely still is an enjoyable read!

My Rating:


Favourite Quotes


"Hate looks just like everybody else until it smiles. Until it spins around and lies with lips and teeth carved into the semblance of something too passive to punch." ~ Juliette
~
"Hope is a pocket of possibility. I'm holding it in my hand." ~ Juliette
~
"He's wrong he's so wrong he's more wrong than an upside-down rainbow. But everything he said is right." ~ Juliette
~
"You think I don;t have a heart? You think I don't feel? You think that because I can inflict pain, that I should? You're just like everyone else. You think I'm a monster just like everyone else. You don't know understand me at all -" ~ Juliette
~
"Everyone says I talk a lot." He shrugged. "But what am I supposed to do when I have much to say?" ~ James
~
"I'm staring at him staring at James. I wonder if he knows he's holding my heart in his hand. i take a shaky breath. Adam looks up and i look down and we're both embarrassed for different reasons." ~ Juliette

Books in the series:



Author Bio: 
Tahereh Mafi is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the SHATTER ME series. She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Santa Monica, California, where she drinks too much caffeine and finds the weather to be just a little too perfect for her taste. When unable to find a book, she can be found reading candy wrappers, coupons, and old receipts. SHATTER ME is her first novel. 

Foreign rights have sold in 25+ territories to-date and film rights have been optioned by 20th Century Fox. 

Her work is represented by Jodi Reamer of Writers House, LLC.
Author Links: Website l Goodreads l Twitter



Love

Chanzie

19 comments:

  1. I follow Tahereh Mafi everywhere but I haven't read her Shatter Me series yet. I so want to though, everyone just raves how much they love it and how they are Team Adam or Team Warner (although I'm not that thrilled to be torn between two guys). I feel left out of the loop. I hope I can read it soon, and my expectations of this book to not get in the way, because I know what you mean, this happened to me when I read My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. Everyone loved it and I barely liked it. Awesome review Chanzie! I'm glad this book won (I voted for it). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I really hope you egt to read it soon. Maybe you should also start a poll on your blog that makes you read those books you keep putting off :) Guess there is a book for everyone and not everyone will like the same books.. its what makes life interesting!!!

      Delete
  2. So far, I think yours is the first review I've read from bloggers I know that shows some negative aspects. Perhaps you're right, it could be because you were expecting too much from the book (I made that mistake in the past), but I'm happy you found it enjoyable after all. I'm still terribly curious about this series and I know I'll have to make time for it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I didn't mean to bring the negative but I think the first book you read will always get the love, so in this case.. it went to Branded. I do hope the series picks up a bit for me :) I do try to not let my expectations get in the way and usually I wait until the hype is over to read the book... Hope you enjoy it - if you get to it Silvia :)

      Delete
  3. I keep hearing great things about this series but I still haven't tried it I confess. A friend will mail me the book so I can try but I'm anxious because she didn't like it... So curious to see how it will be for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... another non-fan.. you never know though - you could love it to pieces!!! I look forward to your review and thoughts of it :)

      Delete
  4. This right here is kind of why I'm afraid to read the rest of the books in this series. I did REALLY like this book, but for whatever reason, I've never gotten around to finishing the series, and if it was really as good as my memory is telling me . . . why haven't I? AND everyone is all OMG about the rest of the books . . . I'm VERY concerned that the real thing isn't going to live up to the hype. I'll stop being a chicken eventually, LOL. But I totally get the hype raising your expectations too high ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no.. I know that feeling.. 'I loved book 1.. why didn't I carry on with it?' type thing. I'd love to read your thoughts on Shatter Me!!! Normally I wait until all the hype has died down about a book and then give it a shot. Sure I am late to the party but then my expectations are not too high.

      Delete
  5. It sucks when your expectations exceed the actual book. I'm relieved to hear that this one doesn't end with a cliffhanger; it's kind of a peep peeve of mine in YA. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it overall though, that's what counts. Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I know what you mean!! For me it depends on the type of cliffhanger. If it ends mid-scene and it just like *bam - the end* then it can annoy me, if it ends with a lot to build on with some unresolved things then it is ok. Shatter Me definitely has one of the better endings in my opinion :) I'll still continue this story sometime.

      Delete
  6. Your review reminded me that I picked up this book at a Books-a-Million sale and haven't made time to read it yet. I'm still not sure if the writing style is going to be something that I enjoy but I may have to give it a try soon and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to be your reminder :) I have books that get lost in my TBR pile too... so I know that feeling!! I do hope you give it a shot sometime. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I am glad to see I am not the only one who had not read this series yet.

      Delete
  7. Everywhere or every blog I go to, there's always the Shatter Me series talk. I feel left out because I haven't read it and I seriously think I should. Anyways, love the post Chene and how did you make that animated picture at the end of the post? It looks SO AWESOME!!! And I also see that you added sparkles on the page :) Nice!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make a plan and read it :) *tee hee* just jokes. I am a fine one to talk.. there are so many books I still need to read that a lot of bloggers rave about.

      Google :) It was one of the first Comment pictures I found before I started making my own :) The Sparklies I first saw on Nomi's P&P. her sister does HTML stuff and told me how to do it! Small things that make us happy :)

      Delete
  8. It's a shame you didn't enjoy this book as much as you hoped. It does sound like a good series. Hopefully it will make it up in that final book! I love how Adam started as a jerk and changed! Great review!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip I do agree. But who knows.. I didn't like Vampire Academy at first very much and now it is one of my favourite series. It only clicked for me from Book 3!

      Delete
  9. I love the name Juliette, too, and the spelling of it - different than the way Shakespeare spelled the name for Romeo + Juliet. It sounds like it starts out in an interesting place. I don't know why, but I like reading about characters in psychiatric hospitals. I have this book but haven't read it yet. I'm wondering if I'll feel similar since I've also read Branded. Do all three main characters get their own POV? I wish it had been a book that had you feeling more excited to read the next one. Maybe the next one will be even better!

    You might be getting several comments from me today - hope that's okay, I'm catching up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will feel the same about Shatter Me, if you loved Branded. Unfortunately the first book gets the love in my case. The POV is from Juilette only. I do hope this series improves, Maybe it just has first book syndrome for me ;) I love comments.. bring them :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.