Friday, 23 May 2014

Book Review (DNF): Grave Mercy (HFA #1) by Robin LaFever

Series: His Fair Assassin #1
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date: 03 April 2012
Genre: Paranormal, Historical Fiction
Source: Birthday Gift / Purchased
Audio or Book: Paperback
Length: 549 pages



Overview:

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?


Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.


Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

Official Book Trailer





Grave Mercy is about kick-butt Assassin Nuns.. what's not to love? With paranormal and historical fiction elements, this book has the potential to be absolutely amazing. Unfortunately though, I found that this book was just not for me. Everything about it appealed to me and seemed so beautiful – the cover is one of the best I have seen and the overview sounded catching and drew me in.
I had not heard of this book until a friend bought it for me for my birthday in 2012. I had no previous reservations or expectations when it came to Grave Mercy.

The characters and storyline were a complete hit and miss for me. It just felt like there was something missing, something to bring it all together. I was so sad that I was so bored - really it broke my heart.

The plot really fell flat for me and I didn't feel a connection to the characters. There was plenty of potential, which just did not materialise – perhaps it improves in the next book. Unfortunately I do not have the urge to continue with the series.

Final Thoughts:

Ultimately I got 50% through the book and I was avoiding picking up the book around every corner. I know my review is in the minority when it comes to this series, but hey that's OK, there are still a ton of great books out there waiting to be read!

My Rating:

Books in the series:


Author Bio:
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS, (Houghton Mifflin, 2007) which received starred reviews and was a Junior Library Guild selection, a Booksense Summer Pick, and nominated for the Malice Domestic’s Agatha Award, and the NATHANIEL FLUDD, BEASTOLOGIST series. Her first young adult novel, GRAVE MERCY, will be published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Spring of 2012. She currently lives with her husband and a demonic cat in Southern California and spends her days gazing longingly at ancient artifacts or wallowing in old forgotten texts.

Author Links: Facebook l Twitter l Goodreads l Website




Love

Chanzie


22 comments:

  1. So sad to read you didn't enjoy this book! Unfortunately sometimes things like this happen. I had one experience in which it just took a few chapters for me to give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did try to give it more time but half way I officially decided to call it quits because I was avoiding reading all together... *bad sign*

      Delete
  2. Oh Chanzie. I do not blame you at all. I was SO bored. I've heard that book 2 was way better, and I'm willing to give it a chance b/c 1. the MC is that crazy girl from book 1 and she seems a lot more interesting, and 2. I got it on sale for like $2. But know that you are not the only one who didn't really like this book (b/c that's the way that I felt).

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank goodness I am not the only one out of my blogger friends that felt this way... I was considering book 2 but it wasn't the characters so much as the writing style that just didn't draw me in. If you read book 2 and love it.. then I'll give it a shot :)

      Delete
  3. Too bad you didn't like it. It does sounds awesome but sometimes books just fall flat. I haven't read it yet but I do own it on my Kindle. Weirdly enough seeing reviews where it's a low rating makes me want to read the book all the more. So maybe I'll get to it soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I take reviews with a pinch of salt because what might not work for you... might be just right for me. Hope you enjoy it more than I did :)

      Delete
  4. Aww man I am so sorry it never picked up. You that I have the first two books already so maybe I will read them for #COYER just to see what I think. Although I am not expecting much now, I bought em so I have to least give em a try :). Thanks Chene!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks hun. I really hope you enjoy these more than I did - and yes you do have to give it a try, it is worth a look with so many other 5 star reviews :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry this one didn't work for you. I have it on my read list for next month so we will see how it goes. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. ;) You are absolutely correct that there are tons of great books out there to read. I used to make myself finish a book and then be mad that I wasn't my time. Life is to short and there are to many other books to read for that nonsense. Best to move on but I'm still hoping I like this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your review Ginny! Life is too short to waste our time on books we are not 100% enjoying. I will probably never read all the books on my to-read list that just continues to grow every day.

      Delete
  6. I saw that you reviewed this and I got so excited. Then I saw the DNF and my heart broke. I literally gasped and just sat there, staring at that DNF for like two minutes. I am so sad this didn't work for you. The next book in the series is actually my favorite book of all time (1 of 4). :( But I get it. Certain books are not going to work for certain people. But I still hate this feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe I am so sorry it broke your heart!!! *biiiiig hug*

      Delete
  7. Oh I'm sorry it wasn't for you.... But I can understand, I hope you'll have a better one next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very brave review! I have a hard time DNF listing books. I have a shelf on goodreads titled "Finish Later Restart" for that exact reason. I think you are right, though. there are too many books out there that you do want to read that you shouldn't feel obliged to stick with one that is boring you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes... your comment made me nervous! I do have a hard time with the decision with DNF's. This was not for review so it helped that aspect a little bit. I didn't want to come across mean, just explain why it didn't work for me.

      Delete
  9. It's a shame that you couldn't get into this one. It sounds like a great read. Nice review.

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite sad about this book. You should try it though.. you never know :) It might work for you!!!

      Delete
  10. Aww that's too bad. I did find it slow moving but overall good. It really helped that I did the audio. I have little patience for reading slower books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually a great idea. Maybe I should try this one on Audio :) Thanks Julie!!!

      Delete
  11. Ooh this book has been on my TBR list for ages, but for some reason I haven't gotten to it yet! I usually have a soft spot of kickass heroines - ESPECIALLY trained assassins, so this book really caught my attention! That, and the beautiful cover lol I'll have to see what I think of this book! Thanks for the review :)

    Isabelle @Isabelle's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few of those.. wait I have many of those on my bookshelf let alone my TBR pile!!! I hope you connect with this book and really love it <3

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.