Monday, 14 April 2014

Book Review: Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1) by Richelle Mead

Series: Age of X #1
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Publication Date: 04 June 2013
Genre: 
Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Sci-fi
MWYA Book of the month
Audio or Book: Book
Length:  448 pages

Goodreads Synopsis:

In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.

Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of Xseries, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such mega-successes: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense.



My Review:
I was so excited to find an excuse to read this book and squeeze it into my schedule when it won my Book Of The Month poll for March. I have wanted to read Gameboard of the Gods since before it was even released! 


I was a bit nervous trying out this book initially when I skimmed a few reviews and saw some positive and negative points. The book starts off interestingly enough - I was not completely captivated but very intrigued by the concepts and opening scenes. 


The story is quite an adventure of the future, mixed with the gods of mythology and a some chemistry. It's exciting and keep you on your toes. Mae's journey is a unique one, where she is your strong, closed off heroine, paired up with the smart, witty, exiled Justin. Together they need to solve a string of murders, while dealing with each other.  

Characters: 4.5/5
Richelle creates well rounded and likable characters. They are unique, intriguing and easy to become involved with. 

Mae - Mae is a fascinating and lovable character. She takes her position as a soldier of the Republic very seriously and can seriously kick some butt! She has walls and secrets that I could not wait to unravel. I connected with Mae easily and loved her more and more as the story progressed. 

Justin - Justin is a great character. I loved that he is smart, witty and observant. Justin is extremely talented. The raven voices in his mind are interesting and I was not sure where they fitted into the story, as well as the agreement he made with someone. He has an internal struggle that he is battling with and it is interesting to see how it unfolds. 

I was continuously rooting for Justin and Mae. I liked them together. I cannot wait to see where there story goes in The Immortal Crown.
Tessa - Tessa is smart and observant. It is almost as if she is  Justin's protégé. She challenges Justin's skills and keeps him on his toes in a good way. She is a primitive character compared to the people who live in RUNA. I enjoyed seeing her grow and develop throughout the story. 

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4.5/5  
There are continuously questions that get raised during the story as it unfolds. The pace is moderate but consistent. A lot of groundwork is laid, but you are kept intrigued. Richelle has grown as a writer tremendously since the VA series. I love the twists Richelle weaves in the story using Nordic mythology - this delivers a compelling story

Cover talk: 3/5 The cover is ok. I can see the connections to the story now that I have read it - but it did not really wow me at all.


Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this first book in the series and am super excited to see where Richelle takes the rest of the series. 


My Rating:



Favourite Quotes
"From the way Justin stared at the city's skyline, you would've thought they were flying to some golden city in the clouds that was populated by angels and unicorns. There was an emotion she'd never seen in his eyes, an ache that was radically different from the cynical air that usually followed him around."
Books in the series













Other books by this Author:














Author Bio:


Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time: Georgina Kincaid, Dark Swan, and Vampire Academy.

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.




Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l website


Love

Chanzie

24 comments:

  1. I tried reading this book a while ago but I couldn't get through it and put it on hold. I do want to try and finish it but it was making my head hurt with all the information bombing. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it that it does take a bit to really get into the book and has a lot of information that you need to sort through but it really does come together quite nicely. I do hope you give it a shot at some stage :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I think it was apretty interesting world and I loved discovering more about it. I have book 2 to read and I'm curious to see what we'll have. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky!! I didn't get approved for an ARC - but that's ok.. I'll live. I am really excited to see where book 2 goes :)

      Delete
  3. I just read Gameboard of the Gods this weekend! I LOVED it. I always love Richelle Mead, but like you, the negative reviews scared me off for awhile. I'm so glad I got over it!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I am so happy to hear that and even more excited to read your review :) I am also glad I got over it, especially when it got voted my BOTM.

      Delete
  4. This book sounds adventurous!! I'm happy you liked it so much, Chanzie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Silvia! It was quite an adventurous book - Richelle takes you to quite a few cities and action is never lacking... Mae is a kick-butt MC :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Chene. As I was reading your review I started to wonder if Richelle Mead had gone off the boil for you. It's fair to say that her book covers aren't the best, and sometimes I read her dialogue and think it sounds rather childish - not always, just sometimes. Where RM is excellent is in her descriptions of the worlds and characters she creates. This books sounds like it could be interesting. But I will hold fire until I have got through her VA series. You were right - Book Three is where it's at! Personally, I think Richelle should put herself on the covers (with fangs) - I think she's absolutely stunning! A strong review as always from you. Wouldn't we all love such a high rating?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol nothing has been lost, but you know what it is like if you associate an author with one series and then they write an entire new series about different paranormal features. Richelle went from vampires to gods. Her dialogue is YA, so I understand why you might think it as childish, we as readers should try remember the genre elements though. She is still a brilliant writer and definitely gets better as she goes. I had to think about the rating for a few days as I wasn't sure initially about it.
      Great thoughtful comment as always John :) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Mae and Justin sound great, as does the premise. I have never read a Mead book but this sounds like one I might enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I hope you give this one a shot :) Mae & Justin are awesome <3

      Delete
  7. Fabulous review! I've been stalling on reading the immortal crown because I couldn't remember much about this book aside from how much I liked it (I read it well over a year ago in like a day... Not so good for retention). But your breakdown brought it all back to me. :) I like the uniqueness of the book, and of course it wouldn't be richelle without amazing characters. I hope te next one is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Glad I could help! You are such a luck girl to have the Immortal Crown already... I am looking forward to your review :) I will have to buy this one just like normal people do :p *Sigh* one day I'll get ARC approvals more regularly.

      Delete
  8. I've never read anything by Mead before, but this looks definitely interesting! Glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh... I hope you do get to try one of Ms Read's books sometime :) Thanks for the visit Franny!

      Delete
  9. I love Richelle Mead but this series just didn't interest me at all but now i'm reconsidering. Richelle does create pretty amazing characters and the plot is one i can work around so i think i'll end up giving this one a try soon!
    Great review!
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily! I hope you do give it a shot, or wait until the next book gets released and see those reviews too :) If I am unsure about a book - that's what I do.

      Delete
  10. Great review Chanzie! I enjoyed this one too. There were some slow points, but I loved how the ending wrapped up. Looking forward to the next book!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree there are some slow points, but nothing too bad that took away from the book. I look forward to your review of Immortal crown. I will hopefully get my own copy soon!!!

      Delete
  11. Solving murders, mythology, likable characters, yes, yes, and yes...I will be reading this series very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome to hear! I hope you enjoy it too :)

      Delete
  12. oh I never read any of her other books but I am excited about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try Richelle's work sometime :) I have only read her VA & Bloodlines series. This was a great change from her!

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.