Friday, 25 April 2014

Book Review: Few Are Angels (FAA #1) by Inger Iversen

Series: Few Are Angels #1
Publication Date: 28 May 2012
Genre: New Adult Paranormal Romance
Source: Freebie @ Amazon
Audio or Book: eBook
Length: 299 pages

Goodreads Synopsis:
After a fatal hit and run accident, Ella Monroe fears that she’s lost more than her beloved parents. Horrifying visions of a past life and a disturbing voice in her head have psychiatric professionals convinced that she’s lost her sanity as well. But when Kale—a dark and handsome stranger with a mysterious past reveals the true meaning of her visions and the tremendous power she wields through them, Ella must come to terms with the devastating truths of her own past, while eluding an ancient Dark Prince who seeks to control not only her future, but all of mankind’s, by means of abilities that Ella is only beginning to understand.

Enter the shrouded world of an age old battle between an ancient race known as the Immortals and their bitter enemy Laurent, the so-called Dark Prince, who commands an army of half-breed vampires known as Chorý. Both sides have been desperately searching for the prophesied emergence of the Arc, a clairvoyant with unparalleled power to recall the past and a soothsayer with clear vision into the future. 

The Council of Immortals has sworn to protect the Arc, whom they have identified as young Ella Monroe, a college freshman from Virginia living quietly and unaware of her powers or her past. But a renegade Chorý has other plans for the protection of a girl he has loved through the ages. Can Kale convince Ella of who she is, what she is destined to become, and what he once meant to her? Is he truly the best protector to shield the world from the devastating misuse of her powers that Laurent is bent on controlling? Or will the forbidden love they share and Kale’s cursed condition as a retched and hated Chorý be used against them both?

This paranormal romance told from the heroine’s perspective builds in intensity and intrigue to a finale you won’t see coming. Heart pounding action mixed with heartwarming friendships and heartbreaking romance will leave you breathless and begging for more.


Book Trailer: (this is what sold me to read this book)






I have been absolutely excited since I saw the book trailer for this book. Much to my delight I discovered it as a freebie on Amazon / Smashwords. I really enjoy the forbidden love type story and this is a fantastic and exciting book. I never knew what was going to happen and was completely captivated by the story. I could not read fast enough and I couldn't wait until I had time to start reading this book again!






Few Are Angels has an interesting introduction, and I really enjoyed that Ella's current problems were introduced early in the first few chapters. It really helped pull me into the story - I needed to know why this was happening to her. If I were Ella, I would also have thought I was a bit crazy with the visions/episodes that she developed after losing her parents in an accident.


Characters & Storyline: 5/5
Inger creates awesome well-rounded interesting characters. It's easy to love the 'good' ones and even easier to dislike the 'bad' ones. They are memorable and keep you glued to the book.

Main Characters


Ella - The storyline starts off with getting to know Ella while she is trying to cope with everything and figure out what is 'wrong' with her. The first few chapters are great foundation chapters. I connected easily to Ella as the MC and enjoyed discovering her past as well as connecting the dots to her destiny. 


Kale - I loved Kale from the very start. Every chapter without him was a chapter too long! He is the brooding, tormented character. You first meet him when Ella discovers him fighting with Jace in her front yard in the middle of the night. He wants to protect Ella the best he can. 


Laurent - Laurent is the 'bad' guy going after Ella. Learning about his actions and what led to him seeking out Ella is shocking! I mean - how can he do what he did to his own daughter! There are a few chapters that are from his POV, but I am sure we will get to know him better in the next book. 


Minor characters


Lea is adorable and cute. I just want to snuggle and cuddle her as a baby sister. Mia is annoying, but likable. She has an attitude, but can be a good friend at the same time - whether her motives shine through or not. Alex is so sweet and I love how honest he is with Ella.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 5/5  
I was completely hooked from page 1. Inger has a great writing style and her world building is great. The pace was perfect and the plot was very good - a great escape. There were parts that were predictable - but I didn't mind and it didn't take anything away from the story for me. I sort of spoiled the ending for myself *sad face* - I was so eager to see how many books are in the series and I read the blurb of book 2 and unfortunately figured out what happened before I reached the end. It was still a great ending, and I cannot wait to see how things pan out in 'Awakened'. 

Cover talk: 3/5 This cover was OK. 


Final Thoughts: 

This was an awesome read and a brilliant escape. I am super excited to carry on with this series. 

My Rating:



Favourite Quotes
"The thing is, once you know death, there is no going back. It changes you. It was different for different people. Some believed death was a part of life and they accepted it. They grieved and moved on. They were, in my eyes, smarter that the rest of us for not admitting they were affected." ~ Ella

~

"I know you, but then again, I don't. I know what it's like to kiss you, but you always seem to stay at least three feet away from me. I know what it feels like to lose you, but you've never been mine." ~ Ella to Kale

~

"Our pasts were so entwined I didn't think I could forget Kale if I tried." ~ Ella

~

"In order to learn the important lessons in life, one must each day surmount to fear." ~ Jace

Books in the series:




Author Bio: 
Inger Iversen lives in Virginia Beach with her tree-hugging boyfriend Joshua and her overweight lap cat Max. When not reading or writing she spends her time watching reruns of True Blood or killing zombies in Call Of Duty.

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l Website







Love

Chanzie

23 comments:

  1. Fab review! I'm soooooo glad you loved it. As you know, I love this book and author so much. Can't wait to see what you think about the other books. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie :) I know you have a special relationship with Inger and you are soo lucky!! I just bought Immortal Heart this week :)

      Delete
    2. Oooh my favorite of her (so far)! :D

      Delete
    3. OMG tHanks so much guys!!! <3 LOVE that you love it!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Few Are Angels sounds like a book maybe I'd love! I'm really fond of paranormal books :) Love the review Chanzie!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I hope you grabbed this freebie and give it a go :)

      Delete
  3. wow it sounds so good! isn't it awesome when a book we're dying to read is free? I confess I take them but never read them... lol I should. It's nice to see that the main characters as well are the second are well featured like that. Thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes!!! This is the third freebie I have grabbed from Amazon (out of the millions waiting to be read) that I have really enjoyed :) The characters are awesome and I just love Kale <3

      Delete
  4. Angel books are usually a hit-or-miss for me, but the fact that this is a freebie, in the New Adult genre, and you LOVED it has convinced me to give it a go. Thanks for introducing me to this new-to-me author!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally love Angel books. Few are Angels is more about vampires though.. so fear not! Well Angels haven't appeared yet. But I will let you know if they do :) I really hope you enjoy it if you do give it a go!

      Delete
  5. oo a freebie that's a gem? awesome. I just realize I own this heh, must make some time for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!! A freebie that is a gem.. gotta love those! Glad I could remind you that you already have this one :) Hope you do find some time for it :)

      Delete
  6. This looks like a great read, and the book trailer is just as good! Thanks for your review and for pointing this out, Chanzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you enjoyed the trailer too!! It is what totally sold me to read this book :)

      Delete
  7. I'm excited to read this, and even more excited when I saw I have it on my Kindle! Iversen definitely sounds like she's an author to watch. I plan on reading all of her books. Terrific review and love hearing you adored this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome awesome awesome!! I agree she is totally an author to watch :) I cannot wait to hear what you think about it!!

      Delete
  8. Hooray for freebies that are actually fantastic reads! The characters sound great (especially Kale--I love broody males), and hooked from page 1 is a rare and wonderful thing ;) Lovely review, Chanzie! I look forward to reading this for myself.

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I was looking for this book everywhere here locally only to realise it was a freebie.. that totally made my week <3 I love your reviews and cannot wait to read it if you give it a shot :)

      Delete
  9. I have had this one on my Kindle for a while and haven't gotten to it. I hadn't seen the trailer and between it and your awesome review, this book just went up a few notches on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I hope it makes it to the top of the pile soon :) I loved that book trailer.. do yourself a favour though.. don't read the blurb of the next book until you have finished this one!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! I actually have this one, but I haven't had a chance to read it... I may have to bum it now after reading how much you loved it! Sounds like you really connected to all of the characters! Fabulous review girl!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesomeness!!! I hope you enjoy it too :) I am so excited to carry on with this series <3

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.