Thursday, 13 March 2014

Topic of Light: Chapter 4 ~ The Five Levels of Attachments

Hello lovelies

Welcome back to a new Topic of Light. One thing I have learnt over the past 2 weeks or so, it that knowing the path and walking the path are 2 very different things. Walking your talk is so much tougher but always worth it in the end. 

Here is a link to any previous topics you might have missed or wish to revisit. 

Please remember, this is only my personal interpretation. If you enjoy the parts I cover I do encourage you to purchase this book to get a more clear and thorough picture of the Toltec Teachings.

This week we will briefly cover the Five Levels of Attachments which will be discussed in more depth over the next few weeks. While reading this chapter, I found it amazing how quickly and deeply attached we have the potential to become to things. Whether it be opinions, beliefs or sports. Until this chapter I didn't understand 100% what was meant by the Five Levels of Attachments. 

In the book, Miguel uses a sports comparisson to explain the Levels of Attachments.

Level One: The Authentic Self

This level is the basic level and the one that is most healthy for us. When we have no attachment to the specified event/object, you can just enjoy it for what it is and walk away without it impacting out life. Like attending a rugby game. You don't have a side, you don't care who wins or loses. You simple enjoy the sport, watch the game, enjoy the atmosphere and walk away unaffected. 

"At this level, you can enjoy a moment in time without any real attachment."

~ The Five Levels of Attachment

Level Two: Preference

On this level, it is like attending a rugby game - you don't know the teams but you choose a side to support. You get caught up in the excitement a bit more and it affects you a little bit emotionally, while you are there. You are for one team, but not necessarily against the other. When you leave at the end of the game - you walk away unaffected. The excitement and attachment shaped the experience for you - yet it has nothing to do with you. 

"The ability to attach and detach easily allows you to invest an emotional side of yourself that will enjoy the ups and downs of a great game. Life is happening, and you are able to share it with those around you, regardless of how they see themselves. "

~ The Five Levels of Attachment




Level Three: Identity

This time round you are a fan of a particular team. I can relate this to Formula 1 - Red Bull. I am a huge fan. When the light goes green, I am invested in the race. I can watch any team but I prefer Red Bull. This level of attachment affects you for a while after the race/game has ended. If your team wins, you are happy and visa versa. The result does not effect your self-worth what so ever. It has become a small part of your identity but nothing to have an argument about with the other side - it only bleeds a little into the other areas of your life. 

"Your team, winning or losing, partially defines your character beyond the ninety minutes of the game."

"...your team's performance is not a condition of your own self acceptance. And if your team loses, you're able to accept the defeat as you congratulate the other side."
~ The Five Levels of Attachment

Level Four: Internalization

On this level you are a 100% committed fan of a team. You live, breathe and eat everything about the sport. The team has become a bigger part of your identity. You are the best Sharks/Bulls/Stormer supporter and have the t-shirt to prove it. Their victory is your victory and their loss is your loss. When they play badly, it is a reflection on you. You know the schedule and time for every game. If they lose you have a bad week at work until the next game. The team has value in your life and it becomes part of who you are. 

"...you have internalized your attachment to such an extent that it has become a condition of self-acceptance."

~ The Five Levels of Attachment

Level Five: Fanaticism

I am pretty sure this level speaks for itself. You have become a complete addict/hooligan/fanatic. The sport is your life - you worship the team. You have every t-shirt and all the yearly team photos. Your  friends have to be on the same page as you, anything less and the friendship has to end. The other team is the enemy. Your team is the real thing and anyone else is just a fraud or wannabe. The game defines you life. You will never miss a game. 

"Your belief becomes more important than the experience. As your attachment grows, it can reach a culminating point where respect is lost even for humanity. In your eyes, a true fan is willing to die and kill for his team." 

"Whenever we believe something without question, we are at risk for attachment at this most extreme level - and it can exist in the most unlikely places."
~ The Five Levels of Attachment

~~~

These attachments can be related to politics, sports, religion, money, sex, power etc. I hope you have enjoyed this introduction to these concepts! As we cover these levels over the next few weeks, keep this in mind "Is knowledge controlling you, or are you controlling knowledge?"

Please can you take a few minutes and answer my poll on the right hand side, right at the top. I would like to know if you would like me to continue with this book for the weekly Topics of Light. Thank you - I appreciate your feedback.









10 comments:

  1. Level 5 is something that I work at from more of a balance type of thing. I tend to go "all in" when I feel passionately about something. However not to detriment of others but sometimes to my work/life balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passion always helps with motivation but balance is just as important :)

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post, and I enjoyed your thoughts on the five levels. I think knowledge is definitely controlling me, more so than the other way around. I'm working on that, but unfortunately change doesn't happen over night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope change never happens overnight but working on it is half the battle won :)

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely a 4 as far as my football team is concerned. Unfortunately they are having a really poor season this time around, but I will support them nonetheless. I voted on your poll too, Chene.....please perservere with them....I wouldn't know about these books if not for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am that way with Redbull Racing *tee hee* Thank you John, I don't mean stopping with Topics of light, I just mean with this book in particular ;)

      Delete
  4. for the most part I am a level 3 but suffer from moments of 4 and 5 when watching a race or experiencing a new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you also watch Formula 1?? Yes I totally agree about those feelings when getting excited and consumed by a new book!

      Delete
  5. I'd say I'm mostly a Level Three. I think I balance things pretty well, huh?
    I totally agree with John, I do hope you're going to persevere with those topics. I really love how you present them and they're truly interesting! There, I said that and now I'm gonna vote, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, I won't be stopping with the topics of light, only this book in particular :) Thank you for your kind words Silvia *hugs*

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.