Monday, 31 March 2014

Book Review: Vampire Academy (VA #1) by Richelle Mead

Series: Vampire Academy #1
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: 16 August 2007
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Birthday gift / Bought

Goodreads Synopsis:


St. Vladimir’s Academy isn't just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they're most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.





My Review:

I initially read this book just before I started blogging. I have wanted to re-read it, to be able to review it for my blog, and when I saw a re-readathon hosted by Stephenie @ BookFever & Chistina @ Booksane, I quickly joined in to chat about this awesome book - chapter by chapter!

Characters: 4/5
Richelle creates great characters. There are your likable ones, the ones you cannot stand, and then a few that just surprise you. 

Rose - Rose is awesome. From the beginning you can see that she used to be reckless and she has learnt some tough lessons and is changing/growing up throughout the book. Rose can fly off the handle very quickly - but she has to control her anger due to the fact that she is walking on thin ice because of running away from the Academy with Lissa, and because there is a very real possibility of being expelled. At parts I really wanted to shake some sense into her - for example, when it came to Christian. Rose is a great strong main character. 

Lissa - Lissa is a beautiful and soft character. She has the potential to be explosive when the darkness kicks in. I can imagine is gets very lonely when you don't know what is happening to you and neither does anyone else. Lissa is lucky to have a best friend like Rose. 

Dimitri -  Hmmmm, Dimitri *smoulders*!! Dimitri is a strong character and is fighting some internal battles with his feelings. He is viewed as a kickass guardian god and has the skills to prove it. He sticks up for Rose and handles her perfectly - from her snarkiness to her wittiness. He is the guy you want next to your in a fight, and you definitely don't want to be on his wrong side. 

Christian - I love Christian to bits. He is not your straightforward, likable guy, but I connected with him easily. His bonding moments with Rose always had me laughing and he just belongs with Lissa. 

Mia - She just drives me insane. I felt a bit bad for her when I figured out why she is like she is - but really, being that mean and that extreme is just terrible. 

Mason - What an awesome character. He is sweet, loyal and a great friend to Rose. 

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4/5  
The plot is unique and intriguing and the pace is perfect. Richelle's writing is easy to get into, and she knows how to surprise you in this series. I love her books, the worlds she creates and the characters she creates. 

Cover talk: 4/5: The cover is great. I love the font and the gates at the bottom. 

Final Thoughts: This still remains one of my favourite series and I enjoyed it even more the second time round. 

My Rating:



Books in the series / Other books by this Author:









Author Bio:
Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time: Georgina Kincaid, Dark Swan, and Vampire Academy.

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.





Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l website



14 comments:

  1. I really liked this series too. You making me want to reread them b/c a) for inexplicable reasons, I never read the last book, and b) I'm totally OCD and can't start the Bloodlines series until I finish this one. Great review, Chanzie!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Never Read The Last Book????? *shakes head* but it's ok, I am also OCD like that. I cannot start a series in the middle of it and you will appreciate bloodlines that much more if you read VA first. Hope you get a chance to squeeze in the last book somewhere!!

      Delete
  2. I agree. I really like Richelle's writing style - for YA / PnR - I think her standard i higher than others I have read. I really do love a good vampire yarn, and have to say that being an Anne Rice buff, I'm terribly critical of anything that doesn't match her standard.But RM creates a different kind of vampire here, and it works. I love Rose and Lissa....they are brilliant characters who weren't quite the same on screen...but maybe future movies (and books) will raise this series to greatness. I gave it 4 stars too - but I'd lean towards 4.5 on GR if it were allowed! Terrific review Chene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie yet :( I really think GR should implement half stars sometime. I am happy with my initial 4 star rating. Thanks for the visit, interesting feedback and 2 cents :)

      Delete
  3. I plan on rereading these next year. They almost made the reread cut for this year but I chose The North and South trilogy instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever thought about planning re-reads per year. That is a great plan. I just happen to stumble upon this one via Kimba's blog. the ladies that are 'running' it are awesome too. I haven't heard of the North & South Trilogy, I will check it out :)

      Delete
  4. Yep....It's one of my favourite YA reads too! My hubby actually bought me one of the books in the series and I just had to read it! And I have continued into spinoffs and all other books written by Richelle Mead! Great review girl!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A fellow fan :) I have read all of her books so far as well. I just read Gamebaord of the Gods and her writing has improved and come a long way.

      Delete
  5. What a great assessment of all the characters – I completely agree with all of your thoughts. And Dimitri… after all these years he's still my number one book boyfriend. I enjoyed this series and for the longest time considered it my favorite. Now, however, I think the Bloodlines just might have passed it up… It will all depend on how it ends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niki :) ha ha ha you can have Dimitri and I will take Adrian :) I cannot wait to see where bloodlines goes!!

      Delete
  6. I knew you loved this series, I remember you telling me that clearly, so no surprise in reading such an enthusiastic review! I'm not planning on reading it soon, but I have it on my list and I'll be watching out for your next reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *tee hee* thank you Silvia :) This might be one of those series where you wondered why you waited so long. I have the first 4 books on my bookshelf for a whole year before I read them!!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this series yet but I have been wanting to. It sounds like there are some awesome characters in this series so I will have to check it out soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Michaela :) So many great series to read... so little time!!

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.