Thursday, 27 February 2014

Topic of Light: The Five Levels of Attachment: Chapter 3 ~ Knowledge and Attachments (Part 1)

Hello lovelies

Welcome back to another topic of light. I have been a bit disconnected with writing at the moment, maybe it has to do with what is going on around me as well as trying to balance life in general. I have been overwhelmed by trying to reach my own dreams and goals, as weird as that may sound, that I sort of lost momentum. Luckily with persistence and commitment, you can work through anything. In a way covering some of the concepts in this books has been a bit of a challenge, I have been practising grasping the concepts myself, in order to try write about it for you. 

Please remember, this is only my personal interpretation. If you enjoy the parts I cover I do encourage you to purchase this book to get a more clear and thorough picture of the Toltec Teachings. 

If you missed the previous posts, you can catch up here

This week's chapter is about knowledge and attachments. Sometimes when we think we know it all, we actually limit our options. Our knowledge is controlling us instead of giving us the freedom to choose. We create an attachment to this knowledge and it forms our Personal Dream for us. 

I will be spitting up this chapter into 2 parts to help go through the meanings more thoroughly.

'If my attachment to what I know blinds me to all the available options, then my knowledge is controlling me; it is controlling my intention, and it is creating my Personal Dream for me. But with awareness of my attachments comes the opportunity to take back that control and to live as I choose.'

~ The Five Levels of Attachment

I came across one of my favourite sayings, and I was so pleased to find it's true source:

Ever-Changing meanings

I am only responsible for what I say; I am not responsible for what you hear. 

- Don Miguel Ruiz

We all have a level of understanding and association in the language we speak. We are taught words and associate them with objects. Book, table, chair and so on. What differs is what that means to you. A book is a wonderful escape and adventure to me, with characters that are as real as anything else. To you, a book might just be a bunch of words, printed on paper and bound together. We place different value and meanings on the exact same object. Experience will also change our perception of things. 

We communicate with each other based on the symbols that we each understand and associate the same thing too. Universally a sun will remain the sun and the moon will remain the moon, no matter what language we translate it too. For example, We have all agreed that the huge yellow ball in the sky that radiates heat and sustains the Earth is know as the Sun. This knowledge connects us all. 

'A Symbols meaning is derived from agreement by a community, a culture, a nation and so on. A definition is created by consensus - and when enough of us say yes to that representation, we call this knowledge.'

~ The Five Levels of Attachment

Perceptions and point of view will also alter our understanding of these concepts we have come to agree on. Love, spirit, mortality - we all know what they mean but I will never truly understand what it means to you and visa versa. In a way we all speak a different love language. We have given a form to the formless and intangible. 

'This is why we refer to the Dream of the Planet as an Illusion; the meaning of the symbols, the words, that construct out ideas and beliefs only feels solid through the agreement of the majority of individuals who are part of that society or community.' ~ The Five Levels of Attachment

In this way if the consensus changes, through enough individuals changing their own personal dreams, the dream of the planet illusion will change too. 

Once again, a joke I share with a friend is 'Who defines what normal is anyway?' Normal is what we think society wants from us, because of a large group of individuals that said yes to this agreement. These days we are constantly evolving and the world is changing before our eyes. Boys were pink, same sex marriages are accepted, woman can now compete in the corporate world - these are just things that have changed in my lifetime. These agreements don't exist out there somewhere, they are mental agreements we have accepted. 

Join me next week as we continue to discuss this chapter. 

My wish for you this week is know what you mean and mean what you say. 




8 comments:

  1. Chanzie, your 'Who defines what normal is anyway?' follows exactly my train of thoughts! I seriously couldn't agree more and I think you've just made a fab point and a great post! Thanks for always sharing those topics, I truly love them <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad there are more of us 'anti-normal' people around. I hate being put into tick boxes. I am an individual, and can make my own mind up about things :)

      Delete
    2. Awe thanks Silvia! Why be normal when we can be awesome and different *Sparkles* Thank you for the visit and the awesome feedback in the comments <3

      Delete
    3. John you make me laugh... we not 'anti-normal' we are Pro-different/Amazing! Focus on the positive.. Awesome just wishes it was like us *tee hee*

      Delete
  2. POV is such an important thing in communication. When I have done therapy with couples, we work on communication exercises to help them see each other's POV. It can be a challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a challenge. i think the more we are aware of this though, the easier it is to work with, than when we are unaware and stuck in our own little bubble world and our own POV's. Thank you for the expert opinion Pamela <3

      Delete
  3. I love this quote: I am only responsible for what I say; I am not responsible for what you hear. t is true we all hear and perceive things differently and this is why book reviews while sharing similar traits also show different interpretations of characters and their actions. Fantastic post Chene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Kimba! My five star could be your two star and visa versa. It shows that we each look for different things when looking at the exact same thing like a book. I always heard that saying as "I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand."

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.