Friday, 28 February 2014

Book Review: Fire Within (Guardian Witch 2) by Ally Shields

Series: Guardian Witch #2
Publisher: Etopia Press
Publication Date: 06 March 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Author / Chelsea's Author Promotions (In exchange for an honest Review)

Goodreads Synopsis:
Ari Calin refuses to believe her human friend Eddie murdered a vampire—in spite of his confession. Her human partner Ryan thinks the case is a slam dunk, even though there’s no weapon and no witnesses, but Ari’s not about to let her friend take the rap without finding out more.

When Ari attends a charity event on the arm of a handsome werewolf, she finds someone she never expected to see again—Andreas De Luca, the charismatic vampire she used to date. When their eyes meet across the room, memories come rushing back. His kiss, his touch, a savage death…and a terrifying magical bond. A reconnection is the last thing she wants. Only by staying away and forgetting Andreas can she hope to avoid the Legend of Ramora.

But when vampires keep dying, one thing becomes clear: Riverdale has a serial killer on its hands, and Andreas could be next. Ari begins to fear there’s more to it, though. Something truly evil is stalking the city, waiting to take control…




Previous reviews:
Awakening the Fire (GW #1)
Vampire in the Shadows (GW #1.5)

My Review:

This is the second time that I have read this book and it did not disappoint. I always worry about my early review assessments and wonder if I would rate books differently later on, after I have had a bit more reviewing experience. I love it when I see my opinion doesn't change and my thoughts about the series are consistent.

Ally Shields takes this story to a whole new level. The book is gripping from the first chapter and is filled with action. Guardian Witch is a paranormal romance with a CSI drama feel to it.

Characters: 4.5/5
Ally creates great characters, and each of them has their own interesting story.

Ari - I definitely loved Ari in this story and connected with her easily. She is a kick-ass heroine and even with her 'magical disadvantage' she is a worthy guardian.

Andreas - Andreas is awesome. He is mysterious, and I believe that there is still much to be revealed about him. He is smart, witty and very well controlled with his behaviour when it comes to Ari. Andreas challenges her in a good way. As much as I loved Stefan in Book 1, Andreas wins this round.

Ari and Andreas have a slow burn romance, it is developing slowly, yet it still remains intense.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4.5/5
The plot is captivating and the pace is perfect. I can definitely see how Ally has grown as a writer in this book, and am excited to see how much more she improves in the books to come. Her writing style is easy to follow and pulls you in easily.

Cover talk: 3.5/5 I really liked the cover, other than the model’s hairstyle! Also, as Stefan did not really feature in this book, I could not understand the reason for the wolf on the cover. It is, however, still a great cover that catches your attention.


Final Thoughts: I love how the love story is unfolding with Ari and Andreas, and cannot wait to see where it goes in the rest of the series.



My Rating:

Books in the series / Other books by this Author:









Author Bio:I write urban fantasy/supernatural mysteries. The first three novels in the series have been released and Blood and Fire is scheduled for the fall of 2013. I am currently working hard on book 5. When not writing, I read multiple genres--urban fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, romance, and I love to travel-anywhere, anytime. I live in the Midwest with my miniature pinscher Ranger within driving distance of the Mississippi River that is the setting for my books.

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l website


Love

Chanzie


10 comments:

  1. It is such a good sign to love a book just as much from reading it a long time ago and reading it now. This one does sound pretty good. I will have to look into this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :) I worry a bit when I re-read as your reading preferences and expectations change the more books you read. Ari & Andreas are awesome and not the insta-love stuff but an attraction and connection they are trying to figure out <3

      Delete
  2. oh this sounds really good and I haven't heard of this one! On my wishlist this goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, the fact that your opinion didn't change, and you had also a good time re-reading a book you already so much enjoyed, it's simply great!
    I'll have to check this series out, thanks for the tip, Chanzie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you do get to check it out Silvia! I loved it when I got to a point and remembered how much I loved it the first time. Great writing really does show when you have re-read a book :)

      Delete
  4. Sound great! I don't think I haven't come across this series before, thanks for putting on my radar, now if you excuse me I need to run and check for the audio ..LOL
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I wonder if Ms Shields has this on Audio yet.. Will have to check it out :) I'd definitely re-listen to this series!

      Delete
  5. I worry about how much I am going to love a book when I do a reread too. I am worried that I am going to discover that I only liked the book because of where I was in my life at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I worry about the same things!! But at the end of the day if the story and writing was great, you will still love it <3

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.