Friday, 21 February 2014

Audio Book Review: Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Series: Night Huntress #1
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 30 October 2007 
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Source: Audible Purchase

Goodreads Synopsis:
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat


My Review:

Narrator: Tavia is brilliant. At one stage I forgot that it's one person doing all these characters! Her pace is perfect and she really knows how to bring the story to life. 

Characters: 5/5
Jeaniene Frost creates interesting and lovable characters. The good guys are awesome and easy to connect to, and the bad guys are brilliant too. 

Cat & bones - They are one of my new favorite romance couples. I adore the tender moments between them. As their relationship grows you love them even more. This is a series that I will follow to the end! 

Cat - Cat is a lovable and beautiful character. I connected with her easily. She is funny, smart, street smart, witty and feisty. I love how Bones loves and accepts her, heals her, and helps her to accept who and what she is. 

Bones - Oh Bones! He is completely swoon-worthy. His patience and love for Cat is beautiful. Bones has a wicked sense of humor and has depths we are yet to discover. Cat changes him for the better. 

Timmy - I love this quirky little character. His nervousness and nerdiness made me laugh. Timmy and Cat have such a nice easy normal friendship, which is great for Cat. I do hope to see him again in future books. 


Cat's Mom - Cat's mom frustrated the giddy out of me. She is selfish and self-absorbed. She cannot see what a beautiful and amazing daughter she has, and keeps punishing her indirectly for her own mistakes and sins. I started out with some empathy for her, but lost it during the story. I really just don't like her, but maybe that's the point in a way. I just wish she could find some way to love and fully accept Cat. 


Plot, Pace, Writing style: 5/5 
I am still learning to figure out this aspect when listening to an audio book. The plot is brilliant and gripping. The pacing is perfect and Jeaniene has mastered the writing style. From what I have read around the blogosphere, this series just gets better and better.

Cover talk: 3/5
 
I thought the cover was Ok. Not the prettiest and I wouldn't pick it up at the store, based on it. 

Final Thoughts: 
I love this series and will follow it to the end. Ms Frost definitely has a new fan.


My Rating:



Books in the series:











Favourite Quotes

"I love you. You have no idea what you're worth to me."
~ 
“Do you think I’m pretty?” I heard myself ask. 
Something I couldn’t name flashed across his face. 
“No. I don’t think you’re pretty. I think you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.” 
~

“I'm saying that I'm a moody, insecure, narrow-minded, jealous, borderline homicidal bitch, and I want you to promise me that you're okay with that, because it's who I am, and you're what I need.”

~

“Lucifer’s bouncing balls, Kitten, not again!
You’re not a woman, you’re the Grim Reaper with red hair!
Come on, Kitten, let’s go. Before you murder someone else.” -Bones&Cat”  

~

“We're, ah, taking a break to evaluate things, and, um, reexamine our relationship, so I stuffed him in a closet!" I burst out in shame. Timmie's eyes goggled.
Is he still there?”

~

“I missed you every minute this week and I don't want to spend another day without you. If my mom disowns me for being with a vampire, then that's her decision, but I've made mine, and I won't apologize of back down from it.” 

~

“...and remember, be
good only if being bad ain’t more fun!” 

~~~
Author Bio:
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, and the upcoming Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

Author Links:Goodreads l Twitter l Website



Love

Chanzie


14 comments:

  1. I keep hearing such amazing things about this series. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. :) I will need to check it out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes You do!!! Tavia is awesome on Audio :) I am quite excited to continue with this series <3

      Delete
  2. Squee!! This is a great series! So glad you enjoyed it! I have to read the final book in this series, we should do it together *wink* Awesome review girl!!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Another fan of the series :) that sounds like a plan.. if you can wiat a bit since I am only on book 1 and need to still get to book 7!

      Delete
  3. I loved the first book in this series the most. I LOVED meeting Bones and learning about Cat's abilities. The audio for this series is fantastic too. Enjoy :) I need to read the final book - I already bought the audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky that you are so far into the series. I am trying to manage a few series and making some progress but it feels like I am soo behind. Lucky I have the next book on Audio too so I can listen to it too <3

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Christina :) it is definitely a new favourite so far!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, I have seen this series around a lot! Jeaniene must be an excellent writer, can't wait to dive in too and become a fan *hopefully* ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will love it too :) I haven't met anyone who has read it and hasn't loved it. I am quite excited for the next book - I have heard even more praise about it!

      Delete
  6. Great review. I still need to get into this series, but I have a few others ahead of it on my TBA list.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Hope you're having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn :) It will definitely be worth it when you get to it!! But I know the feeling and having a TBA mountain!

      Delete
  7. I'm pretty sure you're doing this on purpose so I'll start reading this series as soon as possible, am I right? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... I knew this would be super duper tempting and planned the timing perfectly ;) *tee hee*

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.