Saturday, 18 January 2014

Getting to know Tom Reinhart ~ Author Interview

Hello my fellow bookworms!

Today we will be interviewing Tom Reinhart, Author of Saint Monolith (Check out my Review). 

As his profile says: He is a Author, Nice Guy, Loyal Friend, Troublemaker. 
I can certainly vouch that he is an author and a nice guy. As you can see, if you checked out my review, Tom has a great writing style, covers interesting aspects of society on his book and always friendly. 

Tom has been generous enough to sponsor 2 prizes, each contain a copy of both his books. Read through to the end of the interview and enter to win!

Lets get this Interview on the go...


Tell us a little bit about yourself: 
Author, Nice Guy, Loyal Friend, Troublemaker.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Honestly, the most important thing is I’d like to know that I’ve touched people with my writing, to have connected with them on some level. I think there can be no greater satisfaction from writing than knowing it affected others and brought the reader and the writer together. It makes writing so much more worthwhile, than say someone who writes just for themselves and never shares it. I put a great deal of personal aspects of myself into my writing and it’s very rewarding when that creates bonds with people. I’ve made a lot of friends because of my writing. All of my social media outlets are wide open to the public, and my readers have become my friends, and that has been very cool. I see a lot of new indie authors who are hung up solely on tracking sales and finding schemes to get rich and famous overnight. To me it’s not about that. I want to be a writer, not a book salesman. I just focus on writing, that’s what it should be about. If a book sells well, that’s great. But if it doesn’t, it’s still just as valuable to those that liked it, and that’s all that matters. The true value of a book is in the writing, not how many downloads it gets.

Which writers inspire you?
I grew up a big Robert E Howard and J.R.R. Tolkien fan. The sword and sorcery and fantasy genres have always been my favorite. I have a great admiration for writers who can recreate complete fictional worlds, and then maintain them in a logical way over a series of books. As for being currently inspired in terms of getting my own work published, that began by learning of Hugh Howey’s endeavors. Not only is his writing exemplary, his well-known story of self-publishing success is a beacon for all the rest of us to follow.

So, what have you written?
Aside from a lot minor things over the years, I have published two books so far, the first being Saint Monolith, and Hegemonian which will hit st


ores this week. Saint Monolith is a story about a New York SWAT officer whose psychological issues have brought him to vigilantism. It’s a thriller, with a love story thrown in between the officer and his therapist. Hegemonian is a Robert E Howard inspired sword and sorcery story. It’s an epic adventure with everything packed into it that any sword and sorcery fan will love. I’m actually very proud of this one. I plan on both books to be a continuing series. We are also looking into releasing both as graphic novels with some very cool artwork.


Are you working on any new books?
With Hegemonian just finishing up this week, I’m actually going to take a couple of weeks off to let the creative side of my brain rest up a little. Within a month though I will jump full steam into the sequel for Saint Monolith. I hope to have two or three more books out before the end of 2014. There’s a lot in my head that’s fighting to get out and be put on paper. It should be a very busy writing year for me.
How much research do you do?
I tend to research things as they come up during the writing process. Since my books are generally fictional and fantasy based, there’s a lot of leeway to not necessarily be true to real life. In Hegemonian for example, the world itself is fictional, but if in the middle of a chapter I wanted someone to have a particular type of sword or weapon, I would research those things at that moment, as they came up. With Saint Monolith it was a little bit more necessary to research real locations and some other things, as the story takes place in New York City.

When did you decide to become a writer and what inspired you?
I think a writer, was always a writer. It’s something you either have in you, or you don’t. Since I was a little kid I was always writing my own comic books and poems and things of that sort. In third grade I wrote a play for the class to perform. The real question I think becomes when did I, as a writer, become inspired to go public and become published. That would have been about a year ago, after coming across the Hugh Howey story. I think it would be hard for any writer to not see that and be inspired to follow his path. I have no doubt its stories like his that are the reason the indie publishing world has exploded over the last year.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
The actual writing isn’t hard at all. We all have stories inside us, wanting to be told. I think the hard part is when you take that piece of you and present it to somebody else. Those first few moments of fearing rejection, of worrying that somebody else won’t be able to relate to what you wrote, that’s the hard part for me.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
For me the actual writing comes very easy. I joke around that it’s like the story is already written somewhere, and I’m just writing it down on paper as it plays out in my head. Sometimes I wonder where it comes from. I see authors struggle with “What should happen to my character next?” I’ve just never had that problem. I turn a character loose in a world, and then in my mind I just watch them do their thing, and write it down as they go. Sounds a little crazy, but I think imaginative writers are a little crazy.


Did you ever get writer’s Block? Any tips on how to get through past it?
There have been some moments where I avoided sitting down to write because I was afraid that I wouldn't know what to write. What I learned though, is the fear of writers block does more to stop you from writing than any actual block. Even during those times when I sat down not knowing what I would write, almost every time, if you just start, if you just put something down, it seems to grow and take off on its own. Stories will always tell themselves. You just need to take the first few steps to start them off, and then let your imagination go. I’ve also found it good, if you get stuck on one part of a story, to leave it and work on a different part. Sometimes inspiration doesn't always come in chronological order. Often I get a great idea in my head that I need to write down, and it ends up being the middle or end of a story even though I haven’t written the beginning yet. Write down what inspires you, when it hits. Don’t worry about writing a book in chronological order.

Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
I want to read more. I have to confess that I don’t get to read as much as I should because I’m either busy writing my own stuff, or taking care of other life responsibilities. I’ve decided though that I’m going to start reading at least one book in between writing my own. So, having just finished Hegemonian this week, I’m going to read another author before I begin my next book.

What book/s are you reading at present?
I just started Hugh Howey’s Sand. His books are phenomenal. As is his style, Sand was released in several parts over the last month, and the omnibus releases this week I believe. Perfect timing for me. I highly recommend any of his books to everyone.

Who designed your book cover/s?
My son and I did the cover for Saint Monolith. I bring the creative conceptual ideas, and he helps me with some of the more technical aspects of creating them. He’s a great graphic artist and very good with image software. The Hegemonian cover I did myself. I wanted it to have that feel of a very old worn book, and I think it worked and I’m really proud of how it came out. I think my covers and my titles are very unique, and that’s intentional. When you look through amazon at all the books, there are a lot of similarities among them. I think my covers jump out as something a little different than the rest. That’s a trend I want to continue with all my books.

How successful has your quest for reviews been so far?


Well, I have to say I’ve never really gone on that quest. There were a few people I asked early on, including your wonderful self, but it’s even less of a focus for me today. It comes right back to that thing of am I a writer, or a bookseller? Authors go on a quest because they think somehow collecting a certain number of reviews makes the book sell more copies. I suppose maybe that’s true. But that doesn’t interest me and I don’t want to build my career that way. I want to write a great book that makes people tell their friends about it, and makes them want to read more of my books. I don’t want my job to be to collect reviews. I want my books to succeed because they were good, not because they had 1000 reviews. I understand why the whole review count is important to some, but it just isn’t to me.

What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?
Good reviews certainly make me happy, and so far I’ve been lucky that’s the type I’ve gotten. Both good and bad reviews are something to be learned from. Authors should listen to readers, learn from them, and try to accommodate them. After all, writing is one thing, and can be done solely for the author’s taste. But publishing publicly is all about the readers.

Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book/s?
I do make trailers for my books. Saint Monolith has one at www.SaintMonolith.com. We are making one for Hegemonian right now, and it will be seen at www.Hegemonian.com. There are also preview chapters from the book there so people can get a feel for what its about.

In what formats is your book available?
All my books are available as eBooks and paperbacks on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

What is your favorite motivational phrase.
Carpe Diem”. Every day you wake up, is another chance to start over and get it right. I found another one the other night, in the longest fortune cookie message I’d ever seen. "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken-winged bird that cannot fly."

Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?
I can tell you where I’d like to be, and that would be successful enough as an author to be able to focus full time just on writing. Like all new authors, it takes a regular day job to pay the bills, and being able to make the switch to full time author would be awesome. In five years I’d like to be somewhere near my tenth or twelfth book, and be working full time as a writer.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
That’s a good one. To not look back, to not carry grudges, and to not give up on dreams just because they’re hard to chase.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Don’t let fear of failure stop you from getting published. Write from the heart, and make the actual art of writing more important than the business of selling books.

Do you have any special quirks you need to do/have to write?
I think the best writers are the ones that can put words together in a way that moves people. If you have a good imagination, and the ability to communicate your thoughts well, you can be a writer. Some people are good at it naturally, others achieve it through learning and practice, but if you want to be a writer, you should certainly go for it.

Which Character do you identify with the most?
Mason Stone, the main character from Saint Monolith. Let’s just say that there’s a lot of me in him. Almost too much. Some of my friends are afraid of me now.

How does it feel to be published?
That feels really great. Even though self-publishing is becoming easier and easier, it still feels like achieving a dream. It feels like a major accomplishment. I grew up reading books and wishing I could be just like my favorite author. Now, here I am publishing my own books, and that’s amazing to me.

What advice do you have regards finding a publisher/publisher rejections?
Being self-published, the only people who could reject me are the readers, so I haven’t had to deal with traditional publishing issues. I will say this though; many great writers had their works rejected, and eventually went on to have those books become best-sellers. Never give up when faced with rejection. There are other doors that will open to you so long as you keep pursuing them. The only person who can stop your success is you.
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Yes, that you and your blog are awesome and everyone should follow you.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Website: www.TomReinhart.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TomReinhart.VerifiedAccount
Twitter: www.twitter.com/VisceralTales
Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/TomReinhart
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7211773.Tom_Reinhart

~~~
Wow, what an inspirational and nice guy! I hope you have enjoyed getting to know Tom. I am super excited about his up and coming book Hegemonian! One of the things I appreciate about Tom is that he has this brilliant way of putting things into perspective and making you think about it a little bit more. 



 Love
Chanzie





6 comments:

  1. Great interview! I liked all of his answers, especially how he explains that he is a writer because that's what he likes to do and that there's nothing wrong on being self-published. Go Indies! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa :) I totally agree, sometimes we can lose focus of the main goal which is to write no matter what! i found his answers very inspiring :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome interview! I love his answer to the question on writer's block as I get that problem too, and it's nice to have someone give a solution to it. I also like how he said that both good and bad reviews are important as you learn from both. And it's cool that he can do his own covers! :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimi! I agree that it is important to learn from both :) If there is critique, it gives you something to work on, like a challenge. I love the Hegemonian cover <3

      Delete
  3. Lovely interview, I love learning about the authors process and of course what authors/books influence then. Thanks for sharing and introducing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) I find it very inspirational and intriguing. Thanks for stopping by Kimba <3

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.