Monday, 13 January 2014

Book Review: Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin

Series: Alpha Girl #1
Publisher: Ink Monster
Publication Date: 17 December 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Publisher (In exchange for an honest Review)

Goodreads Synopsis:
Tessa McCaide has a unique talent for getting into trouble. Then again, it isn’t easy for a girl with visions to ignore what she sees. Luckily Tessa and her family are leaving California and moving halfway across the country, giving her the perfect opportunity to leave her reputation as “Freaky Tessa” behind. 

But Tessa doesn’t realize that kissing the wrong guy in her new Texas town could land her in far more trouble than she ever imagined. Like being forced to attend St. Ailbe’s Academy, a secret boarding school for werewolves. 

Even if the wrong guy did accidentally turn her into one of “them” and doom her to attending the weirdest high school ever, Tessa can’t help her growing attraction to the mysterious Dastien Laurent.

When vampires attack St. Alibe’s and her visions pinpoint an enemy in their midst, Tessa realizes that boy drama and her newfound canine tendencies might just be the least of her problems.


Review:
This was an amazing book. I was completely hooked from page 1 - I loved this book! For me this was one of those books where I couldn't read fast enough to see what happens next. 

Characters: 5/5
Aileen creates well developed and lovable characters. I connected easily with all of the characters and grew attached to all them quickly. 

Tessa - I loved that Tessa doesn't fight her crush for Dastien at first. She is awesome and different. I adored her sibling bond with Axel and loved her friendship with Meredith. Tessa was easy to connect with. I cannot wait to find out more about her witch side and see how her relationship with Dastien will grow in the rest of the series. Tessa is definitely my favourite character in this book. 

Axel - Axel is Tessa's awesome older brother. He is caring, naughty, and looks after Tessa exactly like an older brother should. He is one of my favourite characters. 

Dastien - Dastien mysterious at first and completely swoon-worthy. He is witty, smart and possibly the most awesome boyfriend to have in this book. Dastien can be a bit dense at times when it comes to Tessa - In a way its sweet that he cares so much and keeps messing up and on the other hand you just want to shake some sense into him. I absolutely adore Dastien!!

Meredith - Meredith is such a great friend. She is easy to connect with (From Tessa and reader POV), understanding and accepting. After all Tessa has been through, she is so lucky to have a found a great friend like Meredith.

Shannon and Imogene - Imogene is such a weird name. Both of these characters annoyed me a lot.

Writing style, plot, pace: 5/5
Aileen has a writing style that draws you in immediately. I quickly became addicted to this book. The pacing is perfect and the plot was interesting. Becoming Alpha definitely drew me in hook, line and sinker. Aileen does some great world building which is simple and easy to navigate.

Cover: 4/5 - I actually really liked this cover. The more I look at it, the more I love it and after reading the story, you can see how perfect it is. 

My Rating:


Final Thoughts: I will definitely be reading the rest of this series and maybe even buying a paperback to add to my bookshelf. 


Favourite Quotes

My only defense for being so dense was that it was before eight AM. Anything before ten AM and I'm lucky if I can speak my native language coherently.

~
Ice cream, I needed lots of ice cream. even if it was my breakfast. It had milk and maybe eggs. That totally counted. 
~
"No time to stop and chat. things to do. Places to escape from." I took off running.
~
He had an amazing voice. I shoved him. "Okay. I got it. When it comes to music, we're totally weirdo twinkies." 


Author Bio:
Aileen Erin is a lover of all things nerdy—from Star Wars (prequels don’t count) to Star Trek (TNG FTW), she reads Quenya and some Sindarin, and has a severe fascination with the supernatural. Aileen has a BS in Radio-TV-Film from the University of Texas at Austin, and an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University. She lives with her husband in Los Angeles, and spends her days doing her favorite things: reading books, creating worlds, and kicking ass.

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l Website



18 comments:

  1. I've read another great review about this book and they are both selling me!! I like the idea of a werewolf academy! Awesome review!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi :) I totally loved this book! Hope you get to read it and enjoy it too :)

      Delete
  2. Looks great, and the author is a ST: TNG fan. What's not to like? *will add* xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John :) Exactly! whats not to like :)

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued and I'm definitely with Naomi, I like the idea of a werewolf academy :)
    Thanks Chanzie, I'll check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I think Aileen is one of my new favourite authors, her writing is just awesome :) Hope you do get a chance to check it out :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful review, I love when an author grabs you at the beginning and holds you till the end. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba :) I completely agree! This author is a new gem find in my eyes :) I cannot wait for the next book.

      Delete
  5. This book sounds super interesting. I am glad that you loved it! I will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela! I hope you do get to check it out :)

      Delete
  6. I keep seeing this one around and every one loves it. I have to read it now. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Mission accomplished :) I look forward to your thoughts on this one!!

      Delete
  7. Great review! I'm glad you liked it. I'm going to add this one to my TBR list.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I really hope you enjoy it too :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely review :) I'll definitely look for this book the next time I head for bookshops!

    Nicole @ Chicken Soup From A Bookworm's Soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole :) I will definitely add this as a paperback to my bookshelf sometime too!

      Delete
  9. Loved the book and LOVE the cover. I'm excited to see what Aileen Erin has in store for us next in Avoiding Alpha. So happy that I discovered this series last year! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to! So happy to hear from another fan of the book :) Thanks Carmel!

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.