Friday, 27 December 2013

Book review: The Wolf of Descarta by Daniel Pike

Series: Dreambox #1
Publisher: The Zharmae Press
Publication Date: 21 November 2013
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian
Source: Zharmae Press (In exchange for an honest Review)

Goodreads Synopsis:
Jaren Reese is just another red collar trapped at the bottom of Descarta’s genetic caste system. But in the Dream Box, he has forged a new digital identity for himself: Balmus, the Wolf Knight.

Balmus has long since carried a torch for the Linker Petra, but he doesn’t know her, not really. Outside of the Dream Box she is just another one of his fantasies. But Brea Morgen is the real thing– a living, breathing person who desires Jaren for who he truly is, not merely what he pretends to be. 


When the Dream Box that Jaren depends on crashes due to the evolution of a hostile A.I. life form, a secret military branch commissions a team of gamers and hackers to go back into the corrupted Dream Box to eliminate the threat and Jaren is given the chance of a lifetime—though it comes at a price—and Jaren now needs to decide just how much he’s willing to lose because the war about to be waged will be one on two fronts - the corporeal and the virtual.

My Review:
Wow what a complicated and intense book. There are two worlds: the Dream Box and the meat space (to me it meant reality). This is a full on fantasy book and anyone who is a gamer would truly appreciate this book. It took me a while to really get into the book since it is so complex. I felt like I needed a notebook to keep track of a characters and who was who. The book had a gamer /  matrix movie feel to it. It took me much longer to read this book than I expected as I battled with the format which hindered my connection to the story. Sometimes I felt really lost in the book, I didn't always remember which world they were in, especially with all the twists and events.

Characters: 4/5
Daniel does a great job with creating well rounded characters. Although I was quite confused sometimes as there were multiple POV changes throughout the book. Not only did the characters have names, they had dreambox names to for their online characters and sometimes even nicknames.  I battled to keep track who the 'bad' guys were and felt quite lost with some of the stories. The world building was well done, but to me it was huge. I am not sure if this had to do with the type of books I normally read. There is no doubt that Daniel is a great writer. 

Jaron Reese is the main character, I easily connected with him and I definitely enjoyed his story, but my favourite character in the book would definitely be Brea.  

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4/5
The Wolf of Descarta is a very complex story. You really need to keep focus. There are two worlds within this book: The meatspace which is reality and the Dream Box which is a cyber world. The pace is moderate with good grounding and the world building is amazing. Reading this book definitely felt like I was in a computer game. It is strange to me that computers literally run and govern the lives of these future people. The story ended with quite a cliffhangar, which definitely makes the next book in this series sound like it will be filled with twists and developments. 

I really did not understand the chapter numbering, every chapter was a combination of 1's and 0's. 

This is not my normal read but is an amazing book if you can focus and keep track of the 2 different world Daniel creates.

Cover talk: 5/5
I loved this cover. It is fantasy and matches the story perfectly.

My Rating:



Author BioDaniel Pike is a high school English teacher, author, blogger, and father of two energetic daughters, Aurie and Kiera. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from ASU as well as his Masters in Education. His first novel, Repressed Memories, was written when he was 17 years old and high on anime. He openly admits that most of the writing took place in his Algebra class. We may forgive him for that. 

His most recent offerings include The Wolf of Descarta, book one in his Dream Box Trilogy 

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l Facebook l Website

Love
Chanzie






4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the book even though it was a bit complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the complex world I am glad you ended up enjoying this one, lovely review Chene :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba! This was quite a different read from what I normally read but I am glad I persevered :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.