Thursday, 14 November 2013

~ MWYA Guest Post by Diamond from Dee's Reads ~




Hello there all you lovely Book Junkies!! I am quite excited, please help me give a warm Dee's reads .You may recognise her my November MWYA Buzz Blog of the Month Spotlight. If you haven't popped over to her blog to check out my guest post... make a turn after this awesome discussion *drum roll please*
Dee's Reads
"Do book covers influence your decisions on what books to read? If so, how? If not, what does? "

One of the most famous sayings is "Don't judge a book by it's cover." It tells us that looks can be deceiving, that beauty lies within and not to judge a person based on their appearance. But a more literal meaning tells us that we should give more weight to the books content versus the cover. In theory, this is a good practice. But, in actuality (for me, anyway)... I have a hard time not giving weight to a books' cover. Book covers absolutely influence my decisions on what to read. I'd say it's one of the top factors that influence my TBR, actually. 

image.jpegThere have been some instances when a books' cover has made me skip it. Then, I get a friends recommendation or read reviews on Goodreads and decide I need to try it. Huge example is the lux series by Jennifer Armentrout. My friends and fellow book bloggers were fangirling so loudly about this series and author, I just knew I had to try it...even though I was skeptical about the alien story line. I'm so glad I did though because the books are amazing!! 
image.jpeg
Then again, I have to admit that I've read some books where the cover intrigued me yet the story fell flat. Like recently, Palace of Spies. And others that I have heard don't love up to their gorgeous covers/have been disappointed that they weren't 5 star material inside as much as they were outside. Recently, I had that experience with A Wounded Name. Such a gorgeous cover, but the story? Well it was a DNF for me, unfortunately.

image.jpegimage.jpegI just want to say that one idea I saw that is really cool is this book library for the community or book bloggers where they wrapped the books with brown paper and wrote short descriptions on the covers. They mailed them to different readers and readers loved the books or requested books based on the descriptions that otherwise went largely overlooked! I think this is a majorly cool idea. I try to keep it in mind when I'm reading the books blurb, to give it more weight than the cover. But it's hard! Especially when you know you have all those pretty shiny book covers in your TBR..just waiting to be read! Here are some in my immediate TBR that I'm cover-lusting for. Will they be as good as I imagine? Let's hope! 
image.jpeg

All That Glows, EarthBound, Indelible 

Discussion: Do you judge your books by their cover? Have you ever been misled by an amazing cover?

Oh, and many many thanks to Chené for having me on your blog!




Connect with Diamond

Blog: http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.com
Twitter: @DeesReads
Tumblr: http://DeeNazC.tumblr.com

~~~~~~~~

What do you think? I absolutely loved the concept of the community book wrapped up and choosing a book based on the blurb... Thank you Diamond for taking some time out to talk about covers and books, I agree Earthbound looks awesome and I hope the story matches up to the amazing cover! Pop over to Dee's Reads to say Hi and keep an eye out for these future reviews to see if they lived up to their covers... I know I am intrigued!


Love

Chanzie

10 comments:

  1. I sooooo judge a book by it's cover. I can't help it. I do read books with bad covers if the blurb is excellent though. But a good quality cover means the author cared enough to spend time on it, if it's self-pubbed, and it makes me assume they felt the same way about their book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jennifer! I think when we have so many books to choose from, you cannot help but go for a cover choice unless there was something else really outstanding mentioned about the book in a review or recommendation. Thanks for your input <3

      Delete
  2. I totally judge a book by its cover. If the cover is horrid, I won't give it the time of day unless I have been guaranteed that the inside is a thing of beauty. On the flip side, I have quite a few duds on my shelf because the cover was HOT! *sigh* (at least they are pretty to look at)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha I agree.. some book covers do just look amazing with a collection of books! I think with so much choice available to us, we need something to draw us to the book when we cannot remember why we got it in the first place...if you know what I mean. I have a long to-read list and cannot remember half the reasons I put them on there from recommendations to great reviews!

      Delete
  3. I have bought books over the years, because I really liked the book covers and then was disappointed by the actual book. On the flip side, I have been pushed to read books whose covers that I did not like (e.g., the Harry Potter series) and fell in love with the books. I wonder if a rise in e-readers and e-books will lower the budget for book covers. All books look the same to people watching a person read on his/her kindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Pamela :) I think they would still need a decent budget for a cover though, because when people browse on Goodreads or see a book in a review it would still play an important part of the decision.

      Delete
  4. I love discussing this topic. I wish I could participate in the community thing of wrapping the books and distributing them.
    Since I'm a really artistic person I love the art aspect of a. Cover. And, as Jennifer said -- it shows how much the author cares. Especially if it's self-pubbed or indie, the better the cover the more I am drawn to the book. I know it's so hard to have an awesome cover and takes a ton of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.. I would love to be part of that community thing!
      It probably would be hard to have both, but a little bit of extra investment and critiquing can go a long way in the long run.

      Delete
  5. It is true, covers influence me, and have been known to make me lose control , drool and one click my way through the universe. Great post! I should add that some of the most awesome covers have had some of the worst tales inside and the same can be said for awful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha indeed one click is a dangerous thing!

    ReplyDelete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.