Friday, 1 November 2013

Getting to know Lindsey Fairleigh ~ Author Interview

Hello my fellow bookworms

Today we will be interviewing Lindsey Fairleigh, Author of The Echo Prophecy (Check out my Review).  I find it so exciting getting to know these amazing people behind the books.. I mean they are normal inspiring people too who just took a chance at a different dream!

Lets get this Interview on the go...


Tell us a little bit about yourself:
 Let’s see…I've always been a voracious reader with an extremely active imagination. I grew up in Washington State, in the greater Seattle area, which is probably why my favorite weather is rain, and I've been living in the Napa Valley for the past two years. I've had two loves for as long as I can remember: Egypt and my husband (we grew up across the street from each other). For some reason I’ll never understand, I changed plans my senior year of college and applied from graduate teaching programs rather than graduate archaeology programs. I may kick myself over that decision until I’m old enough to forget about it. Anyway, after two years of grad school, I earned a Masters degree in teaching history, which I then went on to do for two years, but…I wasn't entirely content with being a teacher. I felt unfulfilled, and that is when I started writing with purpose.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Mostly I just want to write my stories and have my words reach the readers who truly appreciate them. Nothing is better than receiving a glowing email from a fan and knowing they enjoyed spending time in one of the worlds I created.

Which writers inspire you?
Lindsey Pogue (my co-author for The Ending series). Kim Harrison. Karen Marie Moning. Joanna Penn and the guys from the self-publishing podcast (Johnny, Sean, and Dave). C. S. Lewis. Robin LaFevers.

How many books have you published?
Two—After The Ending (The Ending, #1) and Echo Prophecy (Echo Trilogy, #1). Into The Fire (The Ending, #2) will be released on November 22, and the second book in the Echo Trilogy should be coming out in late Spring of 2014.

Are you working on any new books?
Yes! I’m currently working on the second book in the Echo Trilogy, which is still untitled. I’m also working on an experimental new project titled Lady of Stone & Darkness. The first two installments are currently posted on wattpad, and I’m planning to post them on my blog and put them up on amazon and kobo as a “perma-free” serial series. I’m hoping to let reader interaction and feedback partially drive the direction of the story, which I suppose is what makes it “experimental” for me. Lady should be posted on outlets besides wattpad soon—I just have to finalize the cover.

What’s it about?
The second book in the Echo Trilogy is a direct sequel to Echo Prophecy, picking up Lex’s story a few weeks after the end of the first book.

Lady of Stone & Darkness is…something else entirely. I’ve started calling it a mash-up of the post-apocalyptic, dystopian, vampire/paranormal, and romance genres. Here’s the description:

Centuries have passed since an epic cataclysm forced humans and nightwalkers to flee to the subterranean cities of the Land of Stone and Darkness, but to Elise, a twenty-year-old human woman, the City of Night is all she's ever known. Moments before she binds herself to the nightwalker king, her lifelong protector, Jidor, starts making startling confessions. Will she still fulfill her duty and pledge herself to her lord and master, King Usire, as one of his queens, or will she finally find the strength to be the master of her own life? And if freedom is too slippery to grasp, will death be a more attractive option?

What genre are your books?  
My books all tend to straddle the line between science fiction and fantasy, but no matter what, there’s always an element of romance.

What draws you to this genre? 
I’ve always been drawn to the fantastical. Growing up, the imaginary worlds in the Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter were just as real to me as the “real” world. Also, I have crazy vivid dreams every night—always have—and writing gives me a way to express the ideas my subconscious brain develops.

When did you decide to become a writer and what inspired you?
Honestly, I was a reader first, and the easy answer would be that becoming a writer seemed like a natural progression. But it’s so much more complicated than that. For me, falling into writing was the greatest accident of my life. I originally wrote for me, sort of therapeutically, but after meeting Lindsey Pogue (my now-co-author), we encouraged each other to take the plunge into professional writing.  It’s scary and exciting and so unbelievably difficult sometimes, but it’s also the most fulfilling thing I’ve ever done. It’s the only thing I’ve done, work-wise, that really feels “right.” I can’t imagine doing anything else.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
Putting a little piece of your soul out there knowing someone, somewhere, isn’t going to like it and they’ll probably have no problem voicing their dislike. That’s not to say that I don’t think they should voice their dislike, just that it stings every time. But, that’s the price of being an author, and I’m totally cool with that.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
Writing. Though “easiest” might not be the right word—maybe “best” is better. There are some writing sessions where I completely lose track of time/myself that I forget to eat until the evening (or until I start to feel foggy-brained from lack of energy). I absolutely love those days when I can spend seven or eight hours straight just slipping away into one of my imaginary worlds and typing out my characters’ latest adventures.

Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors?
Yes, I read a TON. My favorite authors are always changing, but a few constants over the past few years have been Kim Harrison, Karen Marie Moning, Karen Chance, Robert Jordan, and Deborah Harkness. I’ve read and re-read their books multiple times.

What book/s are you reading at present?
I’m currently re-reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern for the first time.

Who designed your book cover/s?
Other than After The Ending, the covers for my books are designed by the wonderfully talented Scarlett Rugers (http://www.scarlettrugers.com/).

Do you have a strategy for finding reviewers?
Slowly but surely, I’m developing a strategy. Netgalley has been a huge help, and I’ve done a few blog tours in which the tour hosts have written reviews. I’m only now starting to more actively seek out reviews. It’s hard work, but so worth it in the long run.

What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?
I love good reviews, and bad reviews make me sad. But that’s okay. That’s what wine and chocolate are for, right? But seriously, bad reviews are necessary and even the greatest book ever written would be disliked by someone. Also, with all of the hullabaloo about authors buying/posting fake reviews (which is awful and nobody should ever do that!), it really does help people trust that the good reviews are real when they see that there are some negative reviews as well. I know that, as a reader, I’m skeptical when I go on to Goodreads and see that a new book has 100 reviews, all 4 or 5 stars. So, I take the bad reviews with the good. Plus, some of the more critical bad reviews can be really helpful for improving my writing. For example, I’ve learned from reviews to be careful about making my characters seem to young. I don’t write YA, though based on some reviews of The Ending series, maybe I should! 

What is your favourite motivational phrase.
Since we’ve been talking so much about good and bad reviews, I thought immediately of this quote by Karen Marie Moning:

“I realized early in my career that precisely what one reader doesn't like is what another reader loves. Collectively, any writer's audience presents a mishmash of expectations that can never all be met. What one-tenth of my readership may not be crazy about the other nine-tenths savors. The moment you start altering a book or a painting or any type of art as if it's a public collaborative, you crucify its soul. I'd rather irritate a few people and delight a lot than touch no one."

What is your favourite positive saying?
Is it bad if I don’t have one?

What is your favourite book and why?
This question is impossible! As a series girl, I can’t really narrow my favorites down to a single book, so I’ll just list some of my favorite series: Fever by Karen Marie Moning, The Hollows by Kim Harrison, Cassie Palmer by Karen Chance, Alex Craft by Kalayna Price, Graveyard Queen by Amanda Stevens, Kara Gillian by Diana Rowland, Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, everything ever written by David Eddings…

Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?
Writing full-time and volunteering on archaeological excavations when possible. Both of my current series (The Ending and the Echo Trilogy) will be wrapped up, so I’ll be working on something new. I’d really like to do a long-arc series along the lines of Kim Harrison’s Hollows series that spans around a dozen books. I know I’m not ready for that yet, but that’s definitely one of my goals. Oh, and I’d LOVE to be attending several book/genre/writing conventions and conferences each year. That’d be awesome!

What advice would you give to your younger self?
Start writing fiction right now! Just do it! Oh, and become an Egyptologist. Do that, too.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
 There’s no right way to write. Do what works best for you.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Just this…thanks for having me!

How can readers discover more about you and you work?



~ The End ~ 

How Awesome is Lindsey?? Thank you for taking some time out to let us get to know you! What a completely down-to-earth and inspiring person. 

Love 
Chanzie



8 comments:

  1. Great interview. I always like to know what writers authors like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela :) I find it interesting to get to know the person behind the books!

      Delete
  2. Chocolate for bad reviews and authors is like chocolate for bad books and readers, perfect. hehe. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he.. Chocolate fixes most things :) Thanks Jennifer!

      Delete
    2. Chocolate fixes every THING xD

      Delete
    3. he he true at least for a little while :)

      Delete
  3. Great Interview!! I actually have a review copy of this bc when I saw it on Netgalley I thought it looked so cool! Now I'm definitely more intrigued to read it (also read your glowing review).. It's nice to know the author behind the book!
    Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Thank you Diamond :) I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Its been so awesome to really get to chat to and know some of the authors behind the books :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.