Monday, 25 November 2013

Catching Fire - Midnight Premier


Date: 20/21 November 2013
Place: Nu Metro @ Walmer Park Shopping Centre,Port Elizabeth
Time: 11:30pm - 2:30am

Wow what an awesome experience. It all started when I heard that there were free tickets to the new movie being released, Catching Fire - (The Hunger Games 2) on Algoa FM. Little did I know and clearly I missed the part where they mentioned it was for the midnight premier! 

The entire day I was excited and nervous. My friend Christell (aka partner in crime and adventures) joined me yet again for an unusual event we had never been to before. Prepping for the middle of the night movie, I stocked us up with a monster energy drink each, just to make sure we would stay awake through the movie! Alas there was no need as the movie was action packed enough to keep our attention and us at the edge of our seats! 

Arriving at Walmer Park at 11:30pm, I was pleasantly suprised to see vibey staff and even a Dj playing some upbeat tunes welcoming us. Christell and I got some popcorn and headed to the theater. (I mean who goes to movies and doesn't have popcorn? even a kiddies combo?) There was a bigger turn out of people that I expected. I thought who would go to a midnight premier, if they didn't win tickets like I did? Well there were easliy between 30 - 50 people there! All sleep deprived yet dedicated. 

The movie started promptly and went straight into the movie, which we were grateful for as who knew what time we would of walked out of there had there been more. The movie had me in tears atleast twice. 


Characters:
The directors did a wonderful job with the movie and the casting! 

Katniss: Just like the first movie = awesome. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and I think she is the perfect leading lady. Beautiful and brains.

Peeta: I love Peeta to pieces. Josh Hutcherson plays the role so well. Good looking and considerate. I had a collegue who read the book first and didn't agree with this casting. I really look forward to his performance in Mocking Jay as that book is intense and test Josh's acting skills to the limit. 



Finnick - Yum yum and awesome choice. Sam Claflin brought a whole bunch to this character. 
Mags - Lynne Cohen did a brilliant job, My heart ached seeing her and the role she played in this film. It's one thing to act with words, but to act without and touch the audiences heart is something else. 

Nuts and bolts - (Beetee & Wiress) I loved these characters! 

Johanna - What a bad-ass yet awesome character. Jen Malone brought this character to life brilliantly. 

Haymitch - reading the books helped me appreciate him more as a character. I think you miss out on a lot without the book background, like I did with the first movie. This time round was much better and Woody Harrelson did a wonderful job. 

President Snow - What a brilliant 'bad guy'. 

Plutarch - Brilliantly played Philip Hofman - Cool, Calm & Collected. I thought there were one or two parts that were important that they left out. 

Effie - I think the movie didn't portray what an amazing character this really is. CF did her a little bit more justice as you see what a beautiful heart she has. 


Scenes I loved: 
- I loved the wedding dress / mockingjay dress scene with Caeser. I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil this for you!

- I laughed all the way through the first scene with Johanna, Peeta, Katniss & Haymitch in the elevator! One word = Awkward!

~

The Ending: I was a bit disappointed at the closing scene. Maybe it is because I read the books that I expected more. This would be my only critique of the movie, otherwise I thought they did a great job of bringing this book to the big screen. 

We left at about 2:20-ish. This was a wonderful adventure. I can't say I will be doing the midnight premier again but atleast I can say, been there, seen it and ate the popcorn!

 ~

What did you think of this movie? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Love 
Chanzie


16 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you got to go to the midnight premier! I am going to see it next weekend, because this weekend was just jam packed with other things. I cannot wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek! I cannot wait for you to see it :) It took me the rest of the week and weekend to recover from this midnight adventure... I hope you enjoy it and that I didn't spoil anything for you. I tried to keep this post as spoiler free as I could :)

      Delete
  2. I loved the movie! It was so intense and really well done. Since I just re-read the book before going to see the movie, everything was fresh in my mind and I felt the movie did a good job sticking to the book. They did change a few things though and I was disappointed that they left out the scene with the watch and "it starts at midnight".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about being disappointed that they left out the watch scene, that part seemed so vital to the story! I really want to re-read this series sometime too :) Thanks for stopping by Julie :)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a blast :) that's awesome you won tickets!
    As answer to your question who goes to midnight showings -- I do! I haven't gone in awhile, but if went for all the twilight movies :) usually my friends and I can
    Out and go on the weekends lol :P
    Glad to hear it was amazing! I'm going to go next weekend!
    -Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.. That could be a lot of fun if was a group and over the weekend! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Dee <3

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see this. I missed THG in the cinema, but had read the book....somehow life just got so busy that I missed it which made the book all the more satisfying. I loved Catching Fire even though I felt it was a shadow of the first book. But it is probably the best ever 'second book' in a trilogy, and that's not easy to pull off. Interesting that they changed the director for this one. I felt the first film lacked something, though Jen, Woody, and amazingly....Lenny Kravitz, were great. A great book with great characters...what more do you need? We need Mockingkay to be awesome....though are they milking it with a part one and two? When do you think Chene?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also missed THG on the big screen and watched the movie on a dvd that was in out book club.. then I was hooked! I really hope they don't drag it out over 2 movies though, its been over done too many times. I also love Lenny' Kravitz as Cinna :) I didn't know they changed directors, hmmmm... either way we will all be watching Mockingjay!

      Delete
  5. Haha!! So glad you enjoyed the premier!! I haven't read the books (I know, I should) but I have seen the first movie and quite enjoyed it. I probably will wait until it's on DVD though. Great post girl!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very anti the books when they came out and didn't really have an interest in reading them no many times it was recommended to me. It took me watching the first movie to want to read the books! Thanks for popping in to say Hi Naomi :)

      Delete
  6. Great review! The movie is awesome, wasn't it? I totally agree with you! The scene in the elevator was hilarious lol Katniss' expression when Johanna asked Peeta to unzip her dress haha Then Haymitch saying thank you when she stepped out of the elevator makes me laugh even harder :D I think the movie didn't cover a lot of things such as Haymitch's game and they also didn't explain about Annie but overall it was great! Peeta is such a sweet guy and I might cry in Mockingjay when he was rescued from the Capitol. Okay now i'm rambling so I'll stop. Once again, I love your review Chene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was awesome! tee hee so glad to hear you also found that scene hilaroious :) I agree that they needed to elaborate about Annie a bit and even Haymitch's role. I loved your ramblings.. let me go ramble on your posts now! - just before I logged off yesterday I saw you had a post about THG :)

      Delete
  7. Sooo jealous! I can not wait to see this movie! I'm glad you enjoyed your premier experience. I am not a huge release day movie goer but it's definitely a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not normally a release day movie goer either, I normally try wait a week or 2 for the hype to die down :) Hope you enjoy it and go see it soon!

      Delete
  8. Your review is so cute! I'm glad you enjoyed the movie! I agree with you about Peeta - I hope they give him more to do in Mockingjay. Personally I think his character in the movie is a little bit useless and lacklustre. He's so much stronger in the book. I'm not writing off Josh Hutcherson as a bad actor, because he has proven in the past that he's good. I just don't think that they have emphasised Peeta enough! But luckily we've still got two more movies to come so I'm expecting big things!

    Best wishes,

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Peeta was definitely a stronger character in the book. Lets hope he shines just as much as Katniss in Mockingjay :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.