Friday, 22 November 2013

Book Review (ARC) Keep You From Harm by Debra Doxer

Series: Remedy Volume 1
Publication Date: 25 September 2013
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Young Adult
Source: AToMR Tours (In exchange for an honest Review) 

Goodreads Synopsis:
They weigh you down. I’ve kept a secret all my life. It’s my mother’s secret, too. I inherited it from her along with a unique ability that only we possess. She’s gone now, another victim of addiction. If her death isn’t enough to bring me to my knees, her betrayal flays me to the bone. Because the secret my mother and I have been keeping is just one of many she’d kept. She never told me I have an older brother. And now he’s here, eager to be my guardian.

There is no one else. So I move across the country to live with this stranger, my brother. But experience has taught me that most situations are temporary and forming attachments only leads to hurt in the end. That’s why I’m determined to keep to myself in this new place, struggling to seem aloof while I’m quietly breaking apart. 

Then I meet Lucas…

His magnetism is hard to resist, and most girls at school aren’t resisting. I don’t fall so easily though, especially not for guys who use their good looks as a weapon. From the start, our interactions are tense and volatile. I know it’s because I’m denying the unwelcome desire that grips me when he’s near. I think he feels it, too. He looks at me with an intensity that threatens to unhinge my resolve. Soon he’s trying to break through the walls that past hurts have built. 

But I’m not what I appear to be, and it wouldn’t be fair to get involved with him. At least that’s what I tell myself. Until a terrible act of violence reveals that Lucas has a secret, too. It’s a secret that links us together and ties us to an evil history I could never have imagined.

My Review:
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. I'd seen it on a few blogs and when I was offered it for review from AToMR as an advanced review; I figured I'd scoop up the opportunity. I really like this book. I think it falls more into the Young Adult Category, which isn't my normal genre - but for a book in this genre I thought it was great. The opening chapter is quite intense emotionally - I'm not sure what I would do walking in and finding my Mom dead in the kitchen, then to find out I have an older brother and a family I never knew about would be quite overwhelming (Including the fact that your brother has been trying to get custody of you for about 2 years).

Characters: 3.5/5
Debra created some really wonderful characters that were easy to love and connect with. 

Raielle - Ray is sweet and normal (besides her secret), even with her messed up and unstable past. I like her because she is nice and doesn't have issues or hang ups. Yes, she does keep everyone at a distance and believes she doesn't deserve love and anything good, but she doesn't throw pity parties or tantrums. Ray is strong for a 17 year old girl. 

Myles - Myles becomes Ray's first friend when she arrives to live with her brother. I like him - He is sweet, cool and fun. 

Lucas - I like Lucas, even though he is the popular guy every girl wants, which in stereotypical circumstances would make him a jerk, but he isn't - he thinks before he speaks and is very observant. He isn't perfect and that makes me adore him even more, plus he has a gentlemanlike manner about him - like when he opens the door for Ray, every single time. 

Kyle & Chloe - I accept Kyle but I really don't like Chloe. Kyle really wants to help Ray, and give her a home. I can understand why Chloe is the way she is but I feel she is not understanding, and just caught up in her own problems, and a typical housewife-next-door-gossip. She judges Ray before even giving her a chance, and never accepts her truly, even when Ray proves her wrong on so many levels. 

Penelope - is Kyle & Chloe's young daughter. She is just the cutest and sweetest little girl. My heart just aches when she offers to be Ray's sister, and to 'share her mommy' since Ray doesn't have one anymore. She is just one little bundle of sunshine. 

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4/5
The plot has a medium depth - not too in-depth, yet not shallow either. Debra has a writing style which is easy to follow and can draw you into the story easily. The pace is perfect and the story has enough twists to keep your attention. 

Cover & Title talk: 3/5
The cover is OK - It is not exactly eye catching but maybe it does fit the blurry world Ray sometimes gets caught in. The title caught me more than the cover. I thought maybe the title indicating a bit more action but could see where it might come from in the story. 

My Rating:


Favourite Quotes
Emotions are dangerous. So are expectations.

'You two coming?" Lucas calls to us. He's standing beside the open door of his truck. Myles walks ahead of me and starts to climb in on the passenger side when Lucas holds out an arm to stop him. "You think I'm holding this door open for you?" 

I though he was good-looking before, but when he smiles, he's devastating. "You're about as approachable as an iceberg," I inform him, trying not to stare at his perfect features. His grin stays in place. "That's because you've been about as friendly as a Rottweiler."My eyes widen in disbelief. "You're comparing me to a dog?"

I've heard the phrase walking on air before but I've never had the need to apply it to myself before, until today. As I enter the house, I really do feel lighter and happy and anxious all at the same time.


"People abuse power all the time. That doesn't mea. Tbe power itself is evil, just the wielder of it."

Author Bio:
Debra Doxer has always loved to write. She also loves to read, often finishing several books a week. By day, she works as a writer in the network and software security field. By night, she writes fiction novels.

Debra lives with her family outside of Boston and is currently working on her next book.


Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l Blog




Love

Chanzie


6 comments:

  1. Nicely reviewed Chanzie! Pace versus depth is a tricky one for writers, but I think you've been more than fair here! Keep reviewing...you're amazing at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John :) I really appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like an interesting read with the daughter keeping a mysterious family secret. It is also creepy that the older brother has been trying to get custody for 2 years! Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela :) Well it's not really creepy that he has been trying to get custody as her mom had a pretty unstable past. the creepy part for me was that she didn't know she had a older brother at all!

      Delete
  3. I liked Raielle a lot, and her name reminds me of Rayanne, Angela Chase's friend, from My So-Called Life. Did you ever watch that show? It's from 1994, lol. Ugh, Chloe, I never liked her. She gave off some unfriendly vibes. I don't think she knew what to do with a teenager suddenly living in her house. Lucas is dreamy. That moment when Raielle and Lucas see each other for the first time but don't actually talk to each other is like a movie moment. Terrific review, Chene! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope never watched that show, I think I have heard of it though :) I enjoy it when they do explain how to pronounce certain names like in this one! Yes I never liked Chloe either and Yes I agree that the first moment between R&L is awesomely written :) Thanks for popping by - I will check out your review too when it is up :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.