Monday, 21 October 2013

The Tale of the Vampire Bride (#1) by Rhiannon Frater

The Tale of the Vampire Bride by Rhiannon Frater:
Series: Vampire Bride #1
Publisher: Library of Horror Press
Publication Date: 07 December 2009
Genre: Paranormal, Horror, Adult, Romance
Source: My own collection

A little bit about Author
Born and lives in Texas
Has published 18 Books / (5 different series)
Her website: 

What is the book about:
All Lady Glynis Wright ever wanted was the freedom to live her life as she pleased. Unfortunately, her aristocratic parents want her to marry well and settle into a life of luxury. 

When her family becomes guests to one of the most fearsome and powerful vampires of all time, Glynis finds her fate is far more terrible than an arranged marriage. Trapped in the power of her new master, she fights for freedom, revenge against her creator, and the chance to be with the one she truly loves. 

Bloody, horrific, romantic and rich in gothic atmosphere, The Tale of the Vampire Bride is sure to thrill fans of the terrible, yet romantic vampires of literary past


My Review:

At first I was not so sure if I thoroughly enjoyed this book - maybe I expected too much. The story did not grab my attention at the beginning and I did not really like the names - they were strange. How do you pronounce Cneajna? What changed my mind was that, after the book ended, I was still thinking about this book and the characters for days. If a book is still on my mind that means I probably enjoyed it much more than I realised. The characters were well developed and the world building was very good. 

Characters 4/5:
Glynis - Glynis's foolhardiness annoyed me in the beginning and throughout most of this book. Although I cannot imagine living in the earlier century and being forced into marriage, her insistent rude, shocking disobedient behaviour irritated me. Her stubbornness and defiance was just too much - I can understand not wanting to accept her fate but this was OTT for me. She was a teenager constantly throwing a tantrum and stomping her foot way too much for my liking. She did grow on me after she went to Buda with Vlad, and where she met Ignatius. Maybe the whole point was to create such an intolerable but memorable character? I really liked who she was when she was with Ignatius, and I really appreciated that she brought out the best in Vlad in the long run. Her chemistry and love with Ignatius was well captured. This is what got me thinking about this book so much.  

Vlad Dracula - He was a good 'bad' guy and I enjoyed his character. As deep and evil as he comes across, he was entertaining and unpredictable. Only in the last few chapters did I see a glimmer of 'goodness' in him and enjoyed the way Glynis brought out the better side of him. Rhiannon captured this vampire character perfectly. He was strong dominant and well-rounded. 

Cneajna, Ariana & Elina: The brides/vampire sisters - I kept thinking of the vampire brides which were in the movie, Van Helsing. I liked Cneajna's motherliness, Ariana's airy-fairy sisterliness, but Elina just annoyed me. 

Ignatius - Ok his name is terrible, but I enjoyed his character the most. He only showed up in the last 3rd of the book and this was maybe the reason I started enjoying the story more. I liked that he didn't pine yet he was consistent in his love and affection for Glynis, and I found his background story very interesting. 

Astir - I loved this character. I don't have much to say about this character, as he played a relatively small, part but I enjoyed his truth, wisdom and strength. 

Plot & Writing style: 3/5
Rhiannon can write well and the plot flowed easily but also dragged at parts. I enjoyed the dialogue and wittiness of this story. This story was a 'hit & miss' for me on capturing my attention. The plot was OK, but the ending was brilliant. After finishing the book I decided to up my rating as, although I was not absolutely captivated with it, it did linger in my mind and had me thinking quite a lot about the characters. 

Cover: 3/5
The cover did cause me to picture most of this book in cartoon mode, which was different but enjoyable for me. 

Overall I might consider reading book 2 just to see what happens with Ignatius. 


My Rating:


Books in the series:











Favourite Quotes


"A Curse is a blessing that is not appreciated," Vlad retorted. "I like you much better this way. Alive with English pomp!"

"I took what I needed to stave off the hunger. I will not kill unless I am starving and I was not starving," I shrieked at him. I was irate and overwhelmed with emotion. My hands fidgeted with my dress, trying to pull it up to protect the modesty I no longer truly had.





12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too :) I thought the characters were brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I had to think about this review and the characters for a while :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh creepy cover!! :P glad you loved it!

    Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diamond :) I also loved the cover!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review. This book definitely sounds interesting. Strange names can definitely throw me for a loop when I am reading a book. I keep wondering about how the names should be pronounced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha me too! I kept trying to figure out how to pronounce Cneajna.. (I still don't know) Eventually I grew to like Glynis as I got to know the character :)

      Delete
  4. Hem I do that too. I think I didn't really enjoy the book, and then start to write a review and realize that I really did enjoy it. :) I think this sounds like a good one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenea :) The more I thought about the book I just realised it is because the character is sooo different from me or maybe in some ways she isn't.. lol makes you think :)

      Delete
  5. Usually I'm not a fan of vampire stories cos the last time I read one it's Twilight (too mushy and I still can't get over the fact that Stephanie Meyer's vampires actually sparkled) and I had enough of vampire books for the moment. But, when I read your review I think I'll consider this for my TBR list. If it can stick in your head for quite a while, then it's got to be an interesting read! Thanks for sharing this, Chene. Lovely review as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha that's a tough one. I enjoyed Twilight but you can't put all vampire books into the same category as it :) Another awesome vampire book (But more on the vampire hunter side) is The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason. I hope you get to this book soon :) Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. Looks very intriguing and also different from her The First Days novel...may check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those books that took me longer than I expected to read. I will probably try a different series as well since you say her writing differs :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.