Wednesday, 9 October 2013

The Four Agreements: Part 6 ~ The Fourth Agreement: Always do your best

Hello my lovelies!

I hope everyone is well this week ! This week we are covering the Fourth Agreement: Always do your best. This is such a simple agreement and it really brings the first 3 all together. 

Please do remember, this is only my personal interpretation. If you enjoy the parts I cover I do encourage you to purchase this book to get a more clear and thorough picture of the Toltec Teachings. Click here for Part 1, Part 2, Part 3Part 4 & Part 5 if you missed it. 

I really liked this agreement when I first read it. I usually read the chapter a day or 2 before I write this post so that is gives me some time to think about the message. The basis of this agreement is to do your best, nothing more and nothing less. If you do your best, it will be just the right amount. Your best will vary from day to day and from situation to situation. 

"Everything is alive and changing all the time, so your best will sometimes be high quality, and other times it will not be as good. When you wake up refreshed and energized in the morning, your best will be better than when you are tired at night." ~ The Four Agreements

Your best will also change and improve over time. The more you practice these agreements, the better your best will become than it used to be. 

"Regardless of the quality, keep doing your best - no more and no less than your best. If you try too hard to do more than your best, you will spend more energy than is needed and in the end your best will not be enough. When you overdo, you deplete your body and go against yourself, and it will take longer to accomplish your goal. But if you do less than your best, you subject yourself to frustrations, self-judgement, guilt and regrets." ~ The Four Agreements 

If you always do your best, there is no way you can judge your self as you did the best that you were capable of at that point in time and under those circumstances. 
 
Spending extra energy on something does not guarantee better results. Compare it to a formula or baking a cake... There is an exact amount of each ingredients and way to combine it to make a perfect cake. If you add extra flour and less water, it would not set perfectly and you would need to start from scratch again. 

Our ingredients in life are: Work, rest, play, laugh, love and so on... if you miss out on a lot of sleep, you are not likely to be as productive at work the next day. 

"Doing your best is taking action because you love it, not because you're expecting a reward. Most people do exactly the opposite: They only take action when they expect a reward, and they don't enjoy the action. And that's the reason why they don't do their best." ~ The Four Agreements

Doing your best allows you to live without regrets. You are living to the best of your abilities and taking action to be happy and live a good life because you want to and not because you expect rewards. It is better not to do something if you don't want to do it to the best of your ability. 

"Taking action is being alive. It's taking the risk to go out and express your dream. This is different than imposing your dream on someone else, because everyone has the right to express his or her dream. ." ~ The Four Agreements

Let go of the past and live right now. Let go of whatever life has taken away from you. this leaves room for happiness right now and the gifts of the future to arrive. When our lives are full of past regrets and issues, we have no space to accept the future opportunities. 

"Say no when you want to say no, and say yes when you want to say yes. You have the right to be you. You can only do your best. When  you don't do your best you are denying yourself the right to be you." ~ The Four Agreements 

The first 3 agreements will only work if you do your best. If you slip up, forgive yourself and start again from the very next moment. We cannot be perfect all the time with being Impeccable with our word or never taking anything personally in the beginning. New agreements take practice and in time, old agreements will grow weak and these new agreements will grow stronger and we will be stronger in keeping them. 

"Practice makes the master. By doing your best you become a master." ~ The Four Agreements

The Four agreements are a summary of the mastery of transformation, one of the masteries of the Toltec. There will always be obstacles and tests to test our strength and new choices/agreements. Have faith and carry on doing your best. Try not to feel sorry for your self. If you fall, stand up again and keep going; each time it will get easier. 

Don't judge yourself if you fall or concern yourself with the future. My wish for your is to live in the 'now', always do your best  and keep going. Your life will transform before you even realise it has. 

I hope you are enjoying these posts, there will be 2 more posts before this book comes to an end. I hope to see you next week!

Love 
Chanzie 


2 comments:

  1. All sound advice and very encouraging as always. What I find difficult is the effect others can have on me. Sometimes, how they behave can absolutely crush me. Not for long....but sometimes a day of being in a bad mood is like a lifetime! People need to wake up and know that life is too short for this! I will try and do my best! Thank you Chanzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand John! I also let other people's actions or behavior get me down, but then I try remember not to take it personally and that if I am doing my best then I don't have to worry about anything. And yes I agree.. Life is to short to worry all the time! Its a pleasure John :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.