Friday, 4 October 2013

Book Review: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Infernal Devices #2
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 06 December 2011
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Fantasy, YA, Historical Fiction

A little bit about Author
Lived on France, England & Switzerland before the age of 10

Author of The Mortal Instruments
Previously worked at Entertainment magazines
website: 
http://www.cassandraclare.com/


Previous Reviews:
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) 

Why did I choose this book/Source?:
This series has been on my TBR list for a while. In September I joined a group on Goodreads and Clockwork Angel was one of the Books of the month to read. I grabbed this opportunity as an excuse to read this series. I loved book 1 (Clockwork Angel) so much that I had to find time in my review schedule to read this sequel in the series as well!

What is the book about?:
In magical Victorian London, orphaned Tessa finds safety with the Shadowhunters, until traitors betray her to the Magister. He wants to marry her, but so do self-destructive Will and fiercely devoted Jem. Mage Magnus Bane returns to help them. Secrets to her parentage lie with the mist-shrouded Yorkshire Institute's aged manager Alyosius Starkweather.

My Review:
I love this series. I was not disappointed by this sequel at all. I loved how we uncovered more of the story and that a few of the mysteries were unveiled. 

Characters: 5/5
Will - You love him - he annoys u, intrigues u and reels u in. U want to shake some sense into him and yet u want to figure him out. What curse? What's he hiding? So many questions! In this book you finally start understanding Will a more. You feel his pain and joy. 

Jem - oh Jem! He makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and I love his character more with every chapter. He is still my favourite character in the series and he is that good person you just want to protect and cannot help loving this swoon-worthy character. 

Tessa - You want her to figure out Will and break down his walls, yet at the same time you're rooting for Jem! Tessa is soft, kind, funny and strong. She has definitely grown in this book and I cannot wait to see how things develop in Clockwork Princess. 

Magnus, Charlotte, Henry, Sophie, Jessamine - Most of these characters are so loveable and each brings their own appeal to the story. The only character I didn't not really like but felt so sorry for was Jessamine. 

Plot, writing style, Cover: 5/5
The Plot is captivating and well paced. Cassandra Clare knows how to capture her audience and write a brilliant story. The characters are well developed and her writing captures your imagination. I LOVED this cover, as I did the previous one, and as I will most likely love the next one.

I am not sure how much more I can say without including spoilers so I leave you with this: Clockwork Prince is a brilliant captivating read!


My Rating:





Books in the series:





Favourite Quotes:

"Being Jem, Tessa reflected, must be a great deal like being the owner of a thoroughbred dog that liked to bite your guests. You had to have a hand on his collar constantly"  ~ Tessa

~

"Will looked at him in puzzlement. "Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine's 'genuphobia.' It means an unreasonable fear of knees.' " ~ Will

~

"There was something about the smell of books, the ink-and-paper-and-leather scent, the way dust in a library seemed to behave differently from the dust in any other room - it was golden in the light of the witchtapers, settling like pollen across the polished surface of the long tables." ~ Tessa

~

" 'Remember, Starkweather can't stand Charlotte, so If this is the mood you're in-' "I promise to charm the dickens out of him," said Will, sitting up and readjusting his crushed hat. "I shall charm him with such a force that when I am done, he will be left lying limply on the ground, trying to remember his own name.' " ~ Jem and Will

~

"It is always better to live the truth than to live a lie." ~ Magnus 




12 comments:

  1. MUST READ THIS SERIES!!!! Can somebody please help me clone myself so I can read all these amazing books? Thank you for the awesome review, Chene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES you should!!! I had been saying the same thing for such a long time and now I am wondering why I had waited soooo long :) I am so glad you enjoyed this review :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to try this series. I keep hearing good things about Cassandra Clare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

      Delete
  3. I loved this one too. I still haven't read The Clockwork Princess though. Hopefully soon though. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am busy with Clockwork Princess now, almost finished it :) I am going to be so sad when the world of Will, Tessa and Jem come to an end :(
      Hope you get to it soon!

      Delete
  4. My daughter is loving this series, and I am glad you loved this one Chene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba! This is definitely one of my top reads this year :)

      Delete
  5. Great review girl!! This is one series I haven't read yet. I Really like the TMI series, so I should give this one a go too!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! I loved this series.. I just finished Clockwork Princess and am totally sad that the world of Jem, Will and Tessa are at an end :( This is an amazing series!

      Delete
  6. I was looking through your review list and it seems like you've read and reviewed a lot! (compared to my tiny list) I was just wondering, why are some links grey?

    Anyways, it's funny because I've reviewed Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Princess but I still haven't reviewed Clockwork Prince. :P But I think that this one was probably my least favourite book compared to the rest of the series, though it was still pretty good and did it make me cry! (though I was crying for Will, of course) But never less, great review!

    Olivia Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the list to keep track of books I had read last year. I need to re-read some of them to write reviews.
      Really? Clockwork Princess was your least favourite?? that is interesting and you should definitely write a review so I can see why... I loved all three books :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.