Monday, 12 August 2013

Book Review: Zarconian Island by Aja Hannah


Zarconian Island by Aja Hannah
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Publication Date: 25/03/2013
Genre: Fantasy; Young Adult

A little bit about Aja Hannah
Has her BA Honors in Creative writing & Journalism
Born in Maryland, USA
Blog: ajahannah.blogspot.com
Works as a librarian on the Big Island of Hawaii 

Literary Agent: Curiosity Quills

Why did I choose this book/Source:
I chose this book as part of the Author Promotions Program I belong to. The write up sounded catchy and it fit in with my current intrigue about Atlantis. 

What is the book about:

High School Student Attie Hotep, her best friend Kate, and a few other classmates win a boat trip to Hawaii. 

From the beginning Attie has a bad feeling about the trip which is amplified by her Zarconian senses. Possessing powers that are feared and shunned by society. Her ancestors, the Zarconians, mixed-blood inhabitants of Atlantis, were rumored to be the English fairies who kidnapped children, the Caribbean sirens that sunk ships, and the dream-like apparitions who broke into psyches. By the 1850's, they were hunted to near-extinction, leaving the existence of Atlantis and Zarconians little more than a myth. 

A few days into the boat trip, Attie's bad feeling is confirmed. She wakes up in the middle of the night, goes up onto the deck to see what she can sense, and bumps into Doug, a fellow classmate. While they are sneaking around the deck, they overhear 2 crew members speaking, saying that the boat is way off course. With a strange energy in the air and a realisation that the boat is about to sink, Attie fetches Kate. While trying to strap themselves into the para-sail harnesses, her classmates join them and they all just escape. 

Barely surviving, Attie, Kate, Doug, Bryan and Michelle land on a prehistoric uncharted topical Island in the middle of the Pacific. In-between battling strange extinct and prowling animals, the natural elements, teenage romances and coming across another survivor, they must survive if they want to be rescued. The new survivor, Jack Joshua, is older than them and seems familiar and has hidden ulterior motives for sticking around. The group doesn't trust him completely, which brings an interesting turn to the story. Attie struggles to find a compromise between keeping her friends safe and keeping her family's secret. 

My Review:

The story catches your attention from the beginning. Attie is a strong heroine and the story has enough twists to keep you intrigued. I found the characters very interesting and entertaining, although I would have liked a better description of each character so that I could picture them a little clearer. 

I also enjoyed their group interactions. Aja Hannah captures the teenage emotions perfectly, from jealousy and trust to the teenage crush. The plot is a bit thin and the chapters are very short. I really enjoyed the ending, which is not 100% what you expect. 

Aja Hannah has great potential. Overall rating 3.5, a very good read. 

My Rating:



4 comments:

  1. Wow, I am going straight on to amazon to buy this book! Sounds really captivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesum! Please let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, to bad it needed more descriptions, I too like to bring them to life in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimba :) for a new author she writes well, I just needed that little bit more to get a clearer picture, otherwise I loved the characters!

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.