Friday, 16 August 2013

A day trip for a hike to Storms Lookout Point

Guy and Me
This post is mostly for my followers and friends outside of SA. 
I thought I would put together a little something with some pictures about a day trip we took to Storms River, about 1.5 hour drive from PE, and the hike to the Look out point. 

We had initially planned this trip for the 09 August, Womans' Day Public Holiday, but due to weather we had to post pone and take it day by day for the rest of the weekend. 

Christell and Me

We woke up on the Saturday morning to find blue skies, some wispy clouds and as little wind as what PE ever has. Deciding to be "Right Now" people as my friend quoted (which comes from an episode of Big Bang Theory), we got dressed and the four of us left PE at 9:30 am. (Myself, my husband Guy, and our friends: Bumpy and Christell)

About half way through the trip we lost FM reception, (due to the mountainous terrain), digging though Christell's glove compartment, all we could find were 2 cd's, one with 80's music and the other the Beatles... well it could of been worse, we saved the Beatles for the trip back. The music left me day dreaming about road trips with my parents when I was younger. 

We arrived in Storms River at about 13:10pm. We stopped to stock up on some snacks and headed for the SANS park reserve. The hike to the top took us about 40 minutes at a consistent walking/climbing pace, which included suspension bridges over the storms river and many many steps!

When we reached the top, the view was absolutely breathtaking and worth ever 'huff&puff' on the way up. You could feel mother nature and almost see the fairies in the natural energy around u. Reaching the top was like reaching freedom. Peacefulness, a beautiful view of green trees below and the beautiful deep blue sea in front of you.


While soaking up some sun we even spotted 2 southern right whales! Being up there is like being transported to another world. I forgot about all my troubles and stresses from day to day life and just appreciated being up there with great friends.

The trip down was just as challenging and beautiful. The closer u get to the bottom the louder the waves sounded. The suspension bridges were beautiful, 7m above the river. With a few people on the bridge at a time, we were giggling as it felt like walking on a trampoline - double bouncing. By the time we reached the bottom our legs were shaking and our calves were aching.
Dassie soaking up some sun

We ended off with an ice-cream each, watching the waves and spotting the Dassies, 'It's almost like watching natures tv', as my hubby put it.

My friend bought me a necklace with the African symbol for: persistence.
(The meaning: The symbol means that with persistence all problems and difficulties will diminish in size)

What a beautiful message and reminder that all mountains can be climbed one step at a time. We applied it to the hike up to the Look Out Point and I have that necklace as a reminder in life.

I hope you enjoyed this post!

Love
Chanzie

PS Look out for my next post: The book review of Midnight Bayou

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.